News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Info needed on On30

Started by trmwf, January 18, 2008, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trmwf

HI, I'm new to this forum and need some info on On30.  I am presently in N scale and have been for about 20 years but I am really really interested in going to a larger scale.  How much larger is On30 than HO.  I know it runs on HO track but how does it compare in size elsewhere.  What is the minimum radius most equip will operate on?  What brand of turnouts and track would you suggest?  I am still an old DC guy but would this be the time to switch to DCC at the same time?  How about sound, how is the quality?  Does a loco have to be DCC ready to have sound?  Are most of the locos available DCC ready or friendly?  Anything else I should be asking or aware of?  Pitfalls????

Thanks,
Mike

ebtnut

On30 is O scale (1/4" = 1'), modeling 30" gauge prototypes, so it is about twice the scale size of HO.  The use of HO track is a convenience, since it is actually about 31" gauge in O scale.  Most of the equipment produced by Bachmann will run on their EZ Track with 18" curves, but you would be better off using larger curves (24" or bigger) for better appearance.  This will also help if you think you might want to get some of the present or expected offerings in On30 like the Rio Grande K-classes. WHich brings up another point.  Most of the models offered so far are actually 3-foot gauge prototypes, some of which may have been shortend a bit for tight curves.  Almost all of the stuff is coming either DCC equipped or DCC-ready, and yes this would be a good time to make the switch.  The sound in general is good to excellent, depending on the particular supplier.  You can equip most any loco with DCC plugs and sound modules.  The biggest issue is making sure the motor is electrically isolated from the frame.  Those that are DCC-ready just need to have the unit plugged in and programmed.

trmwf

How about track, is any HO track and turnouts sufficient or is there a certain code that you need to stay above?  How about availability of turnouts in different sizes?

Thanks again,
Mike

C.S.R.R. Manager

Harold Minkwitz has a very good overview of On30.  Check out the rest of his site for lots of "how-to's."

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/on30/

You might also want to look at the On30 Annual, an excellent publication with lots of info and photos.

http://www.on30annual.com

Also, minimum radius varies, depending on what type of On30 train you are running.  18" radius is pretty standard, but the Bachmann Forney works best on 22" and above.  The smaller trains, like the 0-4-0 Porter, the Gas-Mechanical and the mining cars, can be coaxed around curves as tight as 6".  There is a lot of variety in On30 modelers -- Some like the tight curves and tiny equipment, and some focus on larger equipment and wide curves.  If you get a chance to attend a train show, you might see some On30 in person, and that is what will really get you hooked.

Track is another big issue.  Some folks use HO track, while others use On30 track, which has the same distance between the rails as HO, but wider ties that are more spaced out, generally.  Again, lots of variety, and I'll let others weigh in with their track opinions.

amdaylight

Mike,

Welcome to the dark side of narrow gauge modeling ;), or the funner side of narrow gauge modeling.  ;D ;D

Either code 100 or code 83 will work with On30, actually you could go smaller but it would be too small for O scale in height. Anybodys turnouts will work Atlas, Peco, Shinahara or Walthers. I would' recommend that you use either Peco's On30 track or Micro Engineering's On30 track, both have the proper size tie and the right spacing for the ties. Both systems have good switches available but pricey. This maybe the time that you might think about hand laying your track and switches. The cost of switches will be about $20.00 (maybe more) each if you buy them, if you hand build them the cost will go down to about $5.00 each, either way this does not include the cost of the switch machine. If you think that you might want to hand lay your own switches check out the "Fast Tracks" web site, they have a switch building jig that will pay for itself after the 8th or 9th switch that you install. I don't own or work for them, they just make a darn good product and I will recommend to any one.

I also recommend that you use the largest radius that you can preferably larger than 24", 30" would be great.

Andre :) ;D :) ;D

trmwf

Thanks everybody!  I was wondering about the radius as I intend to use the same framework that my N scale layout is on and there are a couple of penisulas that are only 3 foot wide so I guess I can always just add a little shelf around them to add a few inches to get a decent radius.  I handlaid some of my N scale track and don't know if I'm ready for that again or not but the turnout jig sounds pretty good.  I'll check it out.

I guess I better start doing a little DCC research since I never was interested in it before I really never paid much attention to forums or literature on it.  Any suggestions for a decent middle of the road setup to start with.  It really must be user friendly as I am not an electrical genius.  Will probably only have a couple of engines running at a time.

One more thing.  I see some equipment with Kadee #5 couplers, is this about the standard?

Mike

az2rail

I am new to On30 also, but here is the little I know. Bachmann uses HO kadees on their equipment. I am going to change mine to on30 couplers

Listening to other questions about who's DCC to get, I have learned that whatever make someone is using, they will say is the one to get. I think that the MRC Prodigy is a good system, and does not cost as much as Digitrax and Lentz.[[I would also add NCS, but I'm not sure I have the letters right.]
  Bachmann has a E-Z Command system that is inexpensive,  and I see ads for a newer version coming out from Bachmann, but I don't know much about it. But it is sure to be affordable.

One thing I would like to say about the size of On30. Yes, it is O scale. But it is from the early 1900's, so the equipment is smaller than the O scale you have probably seen. It is more like S scale in a side by side comparision.

I have only heard the sound in a Broadway Limited c-16 and it was nice. I am not a big fan of sound, but I would not mind having one of those.

I still have a lot to learn, but making the move to on30 has been a good choice for me. O scale is to big, and HO is to small. I look forward to finally building a layout.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

C.S.R.R. Manager

On30 trains are also smaller than standard gauge O-Scale trains, because in real life, narrow gauge trains are smaller than standard gauge trains.  They range in size from the small, like Porters and Maine 2-footers, to the fairly large, like the Colorado lines, but they are pretty much all smaller than most standard gauge trains.  Not all, but most.

Hamish K

In relation to track, if yoiu are concerned that HO track does not look right (whether this concerns you is entirely up to you) another approach is to create an overgrown look to the track by covering the ties with  (glued down) and weed looking scatter materials. Such track, often with the ties not visible at all, was quite common for backwoods type operations. Not suitable for well maintained main lines of course.

On locomotives, quite a few of the Bachmann models are of prototypes that were made in both 3 foot and 30 inch gauges. The 2-8-0 is essentially modelled on a 30 inch gauge loco, although fairly similar 3 foot gauge locos did exist. Both Porters, the Shay and the Davenport represents 'catalogue ' locos and fairly similar 30 inch as well as 3 fot gauge locos existed. the new 4-4-0 is also quite close to some locos that were made for 30 inch gauge, it is very close to a 2 gauge foot loco. the Forney is of a two foot protoype, although Forneys also existed in other gauges, including both 3 foot and 30 inch.

30 inch gauge was not common in the USA, but quite common in other parts of the worls including central and south america, australia europe and asia.

Hamish

Woody Elmore

I've seen On3 modules done with code 70 rail. It represents 55 pound rail and I believe that was what was used on the Carson and Colorado.

If On30 wheelsets are made to NMRA standards then they should operate on properly laid code 70 trackage.

trmwf

Thanks for all the info guys.  One more question, as far as turnouts and DCC go, if I understand it right, as long as the frog is insulated in is "safe" for DCC and t here is no special wiring needed.  Would that be correct????

Mike