HO 4-4-0 B&O Royal Blue

Started by rikc9, February 20, 2007, 02:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikc9

Quote:
New HO Items Announced at Toy Fair
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:47:17 PM »    
Dear All,
Here are the First Quarter HO announcements. Please see my caveats in other posts!

Standard Line
4-4-0 B&O Royal Blue 1890s
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Bach-man

I could not find the caveats in other post. Do you have any more information concerning the above engine. Finding early rail stuff is difficult. Thanks.

rikc9

jayl1

There is a 4-4-0 available in the Spectrum line - wood cab & steel cab as well as Maryland & Pennsylvania #4, 5, & 6.  These are NICE engines but I'm not sure of the time period.

rikc9

Quote from: jayl1 on February 20, 2007, 05:45:40 PM
There is a 4-4-0 available in the Spectrum line - wood cab & steel cab as well as Maryland & Pennsylvania #4, 5, & 6.  These are NICE engines but I'm not sure of the time period.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I know. I have the HO B&O #875. I was hoping Mr Bach-man could elaborate on what he said in a post. Look at the first post in this forum by Mr Bach-man, New HO Items Announced at Toy Fair
I could find nothing concerning this Toy Fair he mentions. Possibly this Toy Fair is not for mere mortals, only distributors.
It might be he is under the thumb of a bean counter and can only tease us with a little future info.
I saw in a another train forum that someone wanted info on a Spectrum HO 2-8-0 with DCC & sound.
I asked Mr Bach--man where this engine is listed and he told me to buy the 2007 catalog. This engine is not in the Bachmann site. Only the one with DCC only.
Go figure. The best consolation is Bachmann is making much better products than they use to.

rikc9

the Bach-man

Dear rikc,
I don't have any further information as yet- I'll post what I can when I can...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

TwinZephyr

Based on the announced price, one could conclude the B&O Royal Blue 4-4-0 is a standard quality "golden spike" locomotive with a new paint scheme.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=557
or
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=558

BaltoOhioRRfan

going by the 2007 Cataloge, its an Standered Old Timer painted up for the B&O Royal Blue. I Believe this would be protoypicall correct paint scheme as they did do a special paint scheme, However I do not know what it looks like as I never can/could find a pic of the very first Royal Blue.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

ebtnut

While it is possible that the Royal Blue may have occasionally had a 4-4-0 on the point, IIRC that train started out life being hauled by some high-wheeled 4-6-0's.  Yes, the trains and locos were tricked out in Royal Blue paint.  For those of us of a certain age, Binkley once made a kit for a Royal Blue Line narrow-vestibule coach.  Aristo-Craft once brought in a die-cast model of the Royal Blue Ten-Wheeler, but it wasn't a great model.

rikc9

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on February 21, 2007, 08:43:04 PM
going by the 2007 Cataloge, its an Standered Old Timer painted up for the B&O Royal Blue. I Believe this would be protoypicall correct paint scheme as they did do a special paint scheme, However I do not know what it looks like as I never can/could find a pic of the very first Royal Blue.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I hear your correctly, you are talking about the HO old time 4-4-0 with tender drive that has been recently released, not the Spectum 4-4-0 with DCC.
I am probably wrong but Mr Bach-man did not say Spectrumm 4-4-0 and I assumed Spectrum.

Rikc9

woodburner

The B&O's section of the Royal Blue was indeed hauled by 4-4-0s in the 1890s.  Some of the B&O engines attached to this train were painted standard 1890s B&O black, but the "Director General" was painted Royal Blue and trimmed in gold leaf to match the train's Royal Blue colors - perhaps a few other engines were as well. 

The Philadelphia & Reading also hauled the Royal Blue over its part of the line - and featured a pair of sensational single driver 4-2-2s painted Royal Blue, built in 1895 and 1896 respectively. 

So yes, Royal Blue locomotives are accurate. 

Jim