News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lighting buildings

Started by glsummers, January 16, 2008, 06:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

How would you all light a large building, such as Walthers three track diseal bulding? Looking for ideas. Thanks

kevin2083

I use Christmas lights, cut apart and wired so they get about 2V each.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

RAM

many building need to be painted dark on the inside so that the light does not show throught the walls. 

Jim Banner

Quote from: RAM on January 17, 2008, 11:19:49 PM
many building need to be painted dark on the inside so that the light does not show through the walls. 

And then painted white over the dark paint to help reflect light around inside the building.  Black and white crafts acrylics work well for this job.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

James Hail

Foil insulation tape (construction products) works wonders to stop light bleedthrough on cabs and buildings........get the smooth kind without the re-inforcing mesh......Its like having 5 thousandths thick aluminum with a sticky back.

Also works great for details....put it on a model...paint,,,,,,,,then chip away paint to reveal metal underneath.....lather rust rinse repeat.....

Hehhe
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

hotrainlover

Kevin,
Is there a "Heat" problem that way?  Will it cause the plastic to melt?
Thanks,
hotrainlover

kevin2083

Not that I've noticed. The lights seem too dim to put out enough heat to melt plastic. I'll keep you posted if something comes up.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

RAM

Just to be safe, don't place the light right next to the plastic wall. 

Paul M.

You can also put aluminum foil inside the building, instead of paint. I read that in one of Robert Schleicher's books.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific