News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

O Scale Structures for On30

Started by GovB, January 21, 2008, 12:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GovB

I'm new to the On30 world and would like to know if O scale structures really do look good with On30 equipment. Which manufactures (Plasticville, Atlas O, etc.) would I be the happiest with? And, any other tips would also be welcomed.

Thanks, GovB  ???
Happy Rails to You, GovB

the Bach-man

Dear Gov,
Any O Scale structure will be in scale, but often smaller buildings look better with the smaller narrow gauge equipment.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Tomcat

Gov,

take a closer look at the stuff from Walthers (Cornerstone) - for example the Station Building from their range. It looks somewhat Narrow Gauge and it´s not too big for a On30 Depot.

There are masses of fitting structures out there: PaperCreek is perfect for On30 too. Its that easy to build them. And they look terrific.
Or - look for AMB - American Model Builders. Wooden kits, but perfect looking, easy to build and to paint. And there are masses more.

If you take a closer look at the Valley Model Trains pages, there you go...

Kind regards, Tom

GovB

Thanks for all the great info. But..... I forgot to ask about figures, people, animals, even cars and trucks. What scale and where should I look?

thanks again, GovB  :)
Happy Rails to You, GovB

ebtnut

Well, again, it is still O scale, 1/48, so all the scenic items need to be the same scale.  I think Prieser makes O scale figures and animals, as does Arttista.  Vehicles, surprisingly, are a lot tougher.  There is very little available in the way of cars and trucks, especially for the more modern eras.  Athearn just released some very nice Ford Model A's in 1/50.  You can also track down some craftsman-style kits for Model T's.  There are also quite a few vehicles out there in 1/43.  I would opt to try and stay with 1/48 or 1/50 scales for autos; trucks, tractors, dozer's and the like are somewhat less scale-dependent and you can get away with the 1/43 models for them. 

trmwf

I'm having the same problem with decals.  Is it safe to assume the same applies, O scale decals are in order.  Any good sources for them as I haven't seen too many available at the places I've looked.

Mike

the Bach-man

Dear Gov B,
I really like the Arttista figures. One source is K&R Lines, at (714)538-8218. Nice people- I often see them at WGH shows.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Tomcat

Gov,

the Bach-man´s right: Arttista people look great on and arround your trains. They have various engineers and firemen you can place on your engines, flagmen, shunting crews and so on. All are really great, they´re worth the money.

If you want to go cheaper, try Woodland Scenics. Crisp detailed, nicely painted...

Kind regards, Tom

Hamish K

Note that there are (at least) 3 O scales world wide. In the USA O  is 1:48, in the UK 1:43.5 and in europe 1:45 (1:43 is also used). Be careful if people, cars etc. are from a non-USA maker - Preisler is German and quite a lot of their O scale figures are 1:43, although they also make some in 1:50.

As people etc. vary in size the scale difference may not matter, this will vary with each figure (a shortish man in 1:43 may be a tall man in 1:48, but a tall man in 1:43 becomes a giant in 1:48).So it pays to check carefully the dimensions of a figure if you do not know that it is 1:48.

Hamish.

OGReditor

Quote from: trmwf on January 23, 2008, 08:50:59 PM
I'm having the same problem with decals.  Is it safe to assume the same applies, O scale decals are in order.  Any good sources for them as I haven't seen too many available at the places I've looked.

Mike

Not really a safe assumption to make.  O scale models of standard gauge trains are 1:48 scale (in the U.S.).  O scale models of narrow gauge trains are also 1:48, but the models themselves, just like their prototypes, are considerably smaller than their standard gauge cousins.  As a result, decals (lettering, etc.) used on the smaller models would also normally be smaller.

Woody Elmore

There is a company called Korber that makes resin O scale kits. They are a bit crude but are also rather inexpensive and are great for kit bashing.

ebtnut

Lettering (decal, dry transfers, whatever) doesn't really have a "scale", per se. Choose the size lettering to reflect what you are modeling, i.e.--a 1/16" tall letter is about 7" in HO scale, but is 4" in O scale.  Now, if you are using a decal set for a specific car or locomotive, then yes, you need the appropriate scale representation, because the lettering and heralds are sized to match the prototype (theoretically, at least).  I haven't had to buy any decals for a while, so I'm not sure who out there is still doing O scale lettering sets.  I think Champ when out of business.  Walthers used to have a big line, but I haven't checked to see if they still handle them these days. 

Royce Wilson

For narrow gauge decals try: http:www.republiclocomotiveworks.com/

click on online catalog and then decals. they make decals from Nn3 to On3.

Royce Wilson ;D

OldStone

GovB:
Check figures closely.  Many makers seem to make ALL their O Scale (more or less) figures a scale 6' to 6'-6" tall.  In On30, especially if you are doing an "old time" RR, they have the "wrong look" (too tall).  Arttista are great.  Too bad they don't do cowboys and horses.
Cheers,  OldStone   O & W RR

bwreno

Hi,

Try the E-Bay store: "everydaygoodz" for people.   PAINTED 1:50 @ less than 10 cents each----- 36mm tall (1.42").   Most other scales available.
Shipping from Hong Kong was about $12.00 for 500 people.

bob