News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP 38-2 OR GP38?

Started by ALCO1000, January 24, 2008, 06:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO1000

Hello Bachmann,
I have a question concerning your new HO scale gp38-2 . Is it a -2 series or a older gp38. ??The model I have is a Chessie, but there is no cooling system view port hole on the long hood that is a big characteristic of any dash 2 series locomotive built by EMD.The trucks model a standard GP38 non dash 2 series , but the cab is a dash 2 series with the angled  roof edge of the cab  . Nice  model but why is it listed a dash 2 series when the only thing it has is a dash 2 cab?"OR ,Is  bachmann putting the wrong parts on them by mistake?

ALCO1000

Hello Mr. Bachmann,
Did you not want to answer ?Anyone have the answer to my question ?
???

RAM

Hay ALCO1000,  What do you want with an EMD product.  Oh yes you need something for your dead line.  Why don't you wait awhile for Bachman's answer.  After all it is friday nignt.  Give the guy a break.

the Bach-man

Dear Alco,
If there is a detail you don't feel is up to youe standards, add it. That's what makes the hobby fun.
Have some!
the Bach-man

grumpy

ALCO1000

Hello People, 
or Bachmann,
I am having fun . But , Is it a gp38 that I purchased OR  a gp38-2 .The box says gp38-2 , but the model does not represent a dash2 series loco with the details that it is using out of the box.Am I  not correct ?Or do I send it back to Philly for the correct long hood and truck sideframes ?Would have more fun if I didnt have to modify a brand new locomotive to make it what it was titled on the box and was packaged so the mistake was hidden .

ninnypooper

I'm not sure you are correct about the trucks here is a site to compare pics
http://crcyc.railfan.net/

modlerbob

My Bachmann GP38-2 has the viewport.  Some GP38-2 had the older style blomberg trucks.  Overall Bachmann did not go all the way when they made this loco,  for most GP38-2's it's only half way there.

By the way the viewport is outlined only, you need to either drill it out or if you loco is painted a light enough color just paint the interior gloss black.

I also suggest that if you want a more accurate model either buy an Athearn GP38-2 or a Proto 2000 but you will have to spend a significantly greater amount of money to get one with DCC
Bob DeWoody

Santa Fe buff

If it bothers you so much, just buy the shell of one that looks exactly right, and switch them around.  ;D
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

or catagorize it as a GP38-1 ;) I've seen a GP40-1 before... or a GP35M-3.. lol, rebuilt locos are funnnnn!
Alex

ALCO1000

Quote from: Guilford Guy on February 13, 2008, 06:39:50 PM
or catagorize it as a GP38-1 ;) I've seen a GP40-1 before... or a GP35M-3.. lol, rebuilt locos are funnnnn!

Woody Elmore

What's the big deal? All diesels look alike!

Besides, I'm sure there were many variants because different railroads have different options when they order locomotives.

TonyD

Some one with more knowledge on these 2nd generations than can chime in, but, the dash 2's in the 70's were mostly electrical changes- under the hood. Rarely to the sheetmetal itself. Updated from the firehazzard 1930's style fuses and circuts to electronic boards which were safer, smaller, cooler and more reliable. The trucks were now coming from trade ins, some from the early 40's... so the buyer had the option of a new style truck, or actually getting their traded in frames and trucks back, with a new loco built ontop of it, some mechanical departments prefered that option. The model you have might just be the 'wrong road' compare to what you are used to seeing- not modeled wrong, just- not based on the one you are used to seeing...U boats were worse back then....some cookie cutter steamers on the assembly line togther looked nothing like each other 30 or 40 years later...that's life as a machine.....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

modlerbob

The specific answers to the original question are as follows;

The engine cooling system viewport is there on the Bachmann loco, but like on the Atlas Trainman line it is only outlined so you can either cut it out or paint it glossy black.

The trucks may or may not be correct depending on the individual locomotive.  Bachmann has choen not to engineer the more modern blomberg truck on any of their 4 axle HO locomotives.

So live with it or buy a better one.  But if you send it back to Bachmann you will get the same unit back.
Bob DeWoody

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Quote from: Guilford Guy on February 13, 2008, 06:39:50 PM

I thought they'd be fakes...like the locomotives on the S. Berliner site.

For all who don't know: http://home.att.net/~berliner-Ultrasonics/rr.html

Keep going through the pages...it gets pretty funny!

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris