What decoders have been (successfully) plugged into the K?

Started by Greg Elmassian, January 25, 2008, 10:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevelewis

Quote from: Curmudgeon on February 28, 2008, 05:48:49 PM
Quote from: Stevelewis on February 28, 2008, 05:26:41 PM
I have   succesfully   fitted  a  MASSOTH E MOTION decoder  to  my  K-27

I found  the  installation  to  be  straightforward  and  trouble  free  it  worked  first  time  and the  loco  performs impeccably  ( I use  Massoth  digital control also)

As  a Temporary  measure  I also  fitted  an  LGB  US Steam  Sound  unit at  the  same  time,  I will  eventually  fit  a  dedicated  K-27  sound  decoder  when   I can  source  one   over  here  in  the  UK

Any  suggestions  please??

Thanks  Steve 

Boy, that's a new one.
I was not aware Massoth had a plug-in unit for the K-27 Ames Super Socket.
I guess Greg will have to add that to the list.
What Massoth part number is a plug-in compatible for the K-27, so Greg can add part number to his list?
TOC

The  Massoth  decoder used    is  not  a  plug in  job,    the  eMOTION XL  ref  8150001  is  hard  wired  to  the  tender  PCB  solder pads  and the  decoders  screw  connections,  a  very  simple  job  took  me  around  10 -15  mins  to accomplish.   the  loco  ran  successfully   at  first  attempt
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

jimtyp

Anyone have luck putting in a Phoenix P5 sound decoder using the optical chuff?  Mine works but only up to about 40% of full throttle.  Then it gets erratic and finally cuts out.  Phoenix had me try some capacitors but they only helped slighlty.

Does any sound system work all the way up to full throttle using the optical chuff as the trigger?

Greg Elmassian

Your problem is probably one of several things... First, the capacitor is an attempt to reduce "noise" in the circuitry.

I think that is bogus.

The transistor used is also a red herring, it is not needed to "invert" the signal.

The fundamental problem is that the ground reference for the chuff circuitry is from the K, and the ground reference from your sound board is from your sound board.

Connecting the grounds together is not the answer, you can burn up diodes.

The best solution in my opinion is to power the chuff circuitry from the power from your sound decoder. That does mean cutting into the K circuitry.

I realize that you may not like these answers/options, but they are the information that can be proved, not guesses.

You might just give up and use magnets.

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

jimtyp

Greg, thanks for you input.   

Yes, the capacitor was to reduce noise, and it did help but only fractionally.

This is the first I've heard that the NPN transistor is not needed.  I'll give it a try.

Yes, if Phoenix can't come up with a solution that works with the optical chuff in the next few weeks I'm going to just go back to using magnets.

Greg Elmassian

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 08, 2008, 10:48:35 PM
Dear All,
As I've said, we will have individual installs for after market systems posted here as soon as possible. I hope they'll be ready sometime next week.
Stay tuned!
the Bach-man

Just bring this back to the top, wondering if now, 2 months later, this list is available, since many people are asking.

Thanks, Greg

the Bach-man

Dear Greg,
As many have noticed, the board has been undergoing some changes (and some spasms) of late. I have just gotten back into the photo gallery (which still has some issues, btw), and we are eagerly awaiting the posting of the installs, most of which are done. I hope they'll be up soon.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Nick Hall

Another 2 pence worth from the UK, and a question..... I have installed a QSI Aristo sound decoder (no. 3010-0) in my K-27. My railroad is controlled by MTS, with the voltage reduced through rectifiers. Control of the K-27 is good, sounds are good, but the front and rear lights and cablight do not work. The marker lights and firebox flicker work fine. All lights work correctly when run on analogue with the dummy board re-inserted.

I thought that the lights not working could be due to a speed-step problem, so re-programmed the QSI CV29 to 4, to suit the 14 steps of the MTS. The lights still don't work! Does anyone have experience of the QSI/MTS combination? I'd appreciate some advice on what else to try.

Nick Hall.

Bud Steinhoff

Similar problem when I plugged in the Aristo 75 mhz on-board.
Everything worked except the lights.
I wired my motor/track from the receiver to the dummy board and cut the jumper lands from the track to lights, then ran jumpers from  the motor to the lights on the dummy brd.
Everything including lights now work fine.
Bud

Greg Elmassian

I think Bud has the best idea. The lights on the K are not connected to the decoder, but to a transistor that works as a current limiter.

The transistors are connected to the socket. The voltages to turn the transistors on and off are not the same as having a LED or lamp connected directly. (or it might be that they require the opposite polarity signal).

The other alternative would be to fool with the transistors and change the circuitry. I would not recommend this, since they are surface mount, and you would have to change the transistor and the resistors.

Regards, Greg

StanAmes

Nick

I use the QSI decoder with the K27 with absolutely no problems in 14 or 28 speed lighting.  And I have not found any production DCC decoder that has problems controlling any light or function in the K27.

If I were to guess I would believe that may not have the proper software downloaded in your decoder.  Some of the early versions of the software did not control the lighting properly.  Check to see if you have the current production release for the K27 software.  Also try operating the locomotive in reverswe to see if the lights work properly and also ensure that the lights are working properly in DC mode.

Hope that helps

Stan

Greg Elmassian

Stan, so you have a QSI and a K right now? Can you give the software version (it's a F10 command), maybe that will straighten this out.

Interesting that both an Aristo TE and the QSI were reported with the same problem.

Regards, Greg

StanAmes

Greg

Actually I had the dummy plug in for other tests but switching was no problem.

F10 says ID3

It is not a surprise that the lighting is different in different products.  Aristo-Craft has used different approached from time to time.  The concensus was to use the SD45 as the model of the correct version which is reverse to many other Aristo locomotives.

Stan
www.tttrains.com/largescale

Greg Elmassian

When you get a chance, you might want to set your unit to report the firmware version (Bud and Stan).

It's cv 56.255 and you need to turn on at least bit 1, see section 5.8.13 in the manual. (CV 49 = 255, cv 56 = 2)

Turning on all bits will play a lot of information... the firmware version will say something like "seven point one point 6" for 7-1-6.

Current firmware versions are around 7-20-0 by the way.

Interested in the results. I will add that I have had the lighting circuit fail in one QSI system, but that was a hard failure, never worked again.

Regards, Greg

StanAmes

ID=3
1-7-2008

With F0 on

Forward Front on bright rear off
Bachwards Front on dim read on

Hope that helps

Stan

Greg Elmassian

That's as new as it comes.

The fact that the lights work for Bud, means it's not a version issue, there is either power or not on the lighting outputs. So, I would suspect problems with the transistors on the board.

If the decoder had a problem, then Bud's solution would not have worked either.

Suspecting that since the K is pretty new, I would guess that Bachmann does not have the tools to rework the SMT (surface mount) transistors, so his "fix" was the most expedient.

But, it seems that the system works, as Stan has evidenced. So anyone with problems with the QSI and lights should contact Bachmann, or do what Bud did.

Regards, Greg