News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC and Switching Tracks

Started by BradKT, January 26, 2008, 09:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradKT

I am fixing to build a new RR layout (which will cover two 4'x8') particle board tops.  I have generally decided on the track design and it will feature several switches between tracks (probably 10-14).  The locomotives (all diesel) are DCC-compatible.  I plan to run anywhere between 2-4 trains at the same time.

Question #1:  Are there any simple and decent publications on how to install RR switches?  Do they need to be powered from a seperate power source?  How do I control them?

(Note: If and when you respond, assume that I am a total rookie and tell me what I need).

Question #2:  Do RR switches work with DCC?  If they do work with DCC, how do they work and how do you make the connections?

I am in need of some help from someone who knows what they are doing.  Thank you.

CHUG

bradkt, how will you arrange the 2 4x8 sheets. If you plan to but them thats one thing or stack them as a double deck is another. Is this for a club or just your own self.

BradKT

They are going to make an "L" shape (one leg will be 4'x12' and the other leg will be 4'x8').

This is not for a club...it is for me.

grumpy

I would suggest another look at your arrangement . You wil not be able to reach across 4' if something goes haywire .
Don

BradKT

CHUG

bradkt physical concepts of your lay out are free creations of your human mind and not however it may seem uniquely determined by the external world and so forth. think alot about it before you start to get your tracks laid and switches. You also want to think about era and other stories you see.

ebtbob

BradKT,

Assuming I undrerstand your questions.....hope this helps.   Question one was about installing and controling switches.   Switches,  or turnouts as they are called are like other track as far as installation goes,  assuming that the turnouts are insulfrog type turnouts.   Whose turnouts are you using?   If Atlas,  then they are insulfrog and you simply put them in place with the other track.   Other manufacturers,  such as Peco offer both insulfrog and electrofrog.   With electrofrog turnouts,  gapping of two rails is necessary.   If you hold the turnout up as if you were looking at something that slightly resembles the letter Y then you will see in the middle where a rail from each branch of the turnout meet at the frog.   These two rails need to be gapped by using plastic railjoiners or cutting gaps in the rails beyond the turnout.   The gapping can be done at the end of the rails of the turnout or any where beyond that point,  but those two rails must be gapped.  To totally understand what I have just said,  the purchase of a wiring book is very important.   Kalmback Publishing should have something to help.
         Part 2 of first question,    turnouts are throw,  using either a manual turnout control or an electric control.   Atlas switches offer both electric and non electric turnout machines.    They offer easy to understand directions for the electric machines.

Question 2 - Turnouts are turnouts and in any scale,  any turnout will work with DCC,  but the type of turnout will determine what type of gapping and/or extra wiring  will be needed.   Again,  the wiring book will help.

Possibly,  the best thing to do,  is try to get advice on the type of turnouts you will use as that will go a long way in deciding what type of info to provide to you.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

WoundedBear

I noticed in your first post, that you say you are going to use "particle board".

My advice would be to shy away from particle or OSB and stick to a decent grade of plywood. The plywood is far more stable and less likely to have seperation problems when you start adding all the liquids involved with scenery. The plywood also holds screws and nails better than particle board.

Sid

The Old Man

Well, BradKT, at least a couple of people tried to answer your actual questions.  ;)