News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steel box car please Mr. Bachmann

Started by ksivils, January 27, 2008, 02:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksivils

Mr. Bachmann,

A steel box car, patterned after the ones of the EBT would be great.   I realize that a full size model would probably be too big for the Bachmann On30 line, but one the same size as the wooden box car currently in the line would be great.

Plus you could use the Vulcan trucks that you already manufacture.

Just a thought, and a request!

Kevin

lvrr325

In the meantime, one could try kitbashing one from an S-scale plastic boxcar kit.. the width will be about right, the length will be kind of odd and the ladders and trucks need to be changed -

ebtnut

A little research would be in order, but I think the U.S. Army had some steel box cars made for overseas use during WWII that were smaller than the EBT's.  That might be a prototype source inspiration.

Mister Lee

I would also like to see an outside-braced boxcar in On30. While I know that there were a LOT of steel-sided outside-braced boxcars that were used in Mexico, Central America and Hawaii, I would like to put in a good word for the older outside-braced wood-sided cars used in those parts of the world. While the corrugated-metal roofing used on the Mexican and Central American cars might put off a lot of EBT purists, such cars could represent a much longer time period and a much larger geographical area--a lot of the Oahu Railway and Land Co. cars ended up in Central America, and other wood-sided o.b. boxcars lasted into the 1970's.

Ken

A simple conversion of S std gauge cars to O ng, including OB wood
boxcars (trucks/ladders/roofwalk) has provided another dozen or so
cars for my oneday layout.  Size wise, close to published demensions of 2½ft gauge equipment used in South America.

Ken
     GWN

Nick_Burman

I believe that we could do with a whole range of steel equipment and not just boxcars. A steel-frame tank car would be nice, so would a steel gon.

Cheers NB