News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Biggest Engine?

Started by rains train, January 27, 2008, 08:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rains train

What was the biggest engine ever made? Is it in HO scale?

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

Anthony08

well, the one of the -arguably- largest locomotives ever built was the 2-8-8-8-2 triplex locomotive, but it was not succsesful. The Big Boy was one of the largest succsesful locomotives ever built, but I beleive the 2-6-6-6 alghany was heavier than the big boy.
so, the largest locomotive ever built is a very controversial topic, but the big boy is definitely the largest succsesful locomotive ever built

And MTH is bringing the Triplex to HO

rains train

When will that engine be out? I'm looking forward to getting it! I love large steam.

Alex

Anthony08

I believe its already out! Retail price $499.95

rains train

Oh? Okay, I'm going to MTH's website right now to check one out!  ;D

Alex

SteamGene

My railroad has no need of a Triplex of any sort.  However, I'vd seen that it is actually a small engine as artiulateds go 
By weight and drawbar horsepower the "biggest" goes to the 2-6-6-6.  Of course.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rains train

Ya, I saw the 2-8-8-8-2, it wasn't the biggest I've seen. I'm thinking either big boy or the 2-6-6-6...

Alex

SteamGene

Again, it depends on your meaning of the word "biggest."    If you say biggest refers to the number of drivers, than an x-8-8-8-x would be the biggest.
By sheer weight or drawbar horsepower, its the 2-6-6-6.
If you go by locomotive and tender length, it's the 4-8-8-4.
Then you could compare grate area,  height, whatever.
Gene 
Chief Brass Hat

Guilford Guy

Wha' 'bout the Russian's 4-14-4!
Alex

SteamGene

Considering what happened to the designers of the 4-14-4, I thought it best left off the post in front of the brick wall.   :D  In any event, 8+8=16, while 14+0=14. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

japasha

Uncle Joe turned his "superior" locomotive into a few T-54's.  The actual designers were at a university and had never designed a steam locomotive. Same problem we have with many products, people design things they've never seen or used.

A rigid frame will only work so well on curved track based on its total driver wheelbase. Many European locomtives that were ten and twelve coupled were narrow gauge with very small drivers spread out to distribute the weight on light track.

The Russian monster was much bigger than UP's 4-12-2 and was tried on what might as well have been a siding. The rail was 75lb/yd when the locomotive had an axle loading like Gene's beloved 2-6-6-6s. My understanding was that it went less then 25 miles and ruined all the track it ran on.

GN.2-6-8-0

The great Northern R2 gets my vote....so der  ;)
Rocky Lives

Virginian

And people ask why so many manufacturers build Big Boys. 
"What could have happened... did."

rains train

hotrainlover

I will also vote for the R-2!!

hotrainlover