Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Biggest Engine?

Started by rains train, January 27, 2008, 08:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rains train

Were could I find a..."R2"...?

Alex

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

TonyD

Didn't the Russians build atleast one  double mountain garrett? Didn't that get top honors for weight for a while? but being broad guage I guess their stuff is disqualified
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

SteamGene

That would be another category - heaviest broad gauge - which the Soviet "Invitation to an Execution" locomotive was, also.  :D
Then, biggest narrow gauge.......
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: rains train on January 29, 2008, 08:33:33 PM
Were could I find a..."R2"...?

alex
Athough there were numerous runs produced The Great Northern R1- R2s are only available as brass imports. these were made by  Pacific Fast Mail, Oriental and Key imports.
These models  often show on Ebay but unfortunely they will useally go for $1000-$2000. and rare is the one that goes for below $800.

I was extremly lucky to find one at a swapmeet needing major repairs that I could afford.
Rocky Lives

StanierJack

LNER's U1 class number 2395 garratt. 2-8-8-2

Pretty big for a British locomotive:

And for a model which will run on 16.5mm track, try the DJH kit:

RRP: £115

rains train

OOO, I like the it..I might get me one of those.

Does anyone have a picture of an R2..?

Alex

japasha

Actually, the Northern Pacific 2-8-8-4 was larger in many respects than the Big Boy. After stem had been succeeded by diesels, the NP relocated part of its line due to a new reservoir being made . The decided that mechanical tamping would take too long so they pulled a 2-8-8-4 out of the deadline and used it to tamp the roadbed into place. .

It had a larger firebox than the big boy and 2-6-6-6. (Source: Trains Magazine)

TonyD

I suppose some one out there has the stats for 3 criteria as whos da biggest. Wheel arrangement, white system, was there any more axles than the double mountain garretts? weight in tons,might be the yellowsones? tractive effort in pounds,might be the Alleghanies? or big boys. starting tonnage can't really count, cause some little consuls with boosters outdid some giants, but not quickly. Thank you Stanier Jack for the pics of the garrett, I'm sure lots of people on here never saw one before, an interesting education can be had here, I wish I had shots of a gmam on digital,the heaviest on narrow guage, I'm working on it...thanks again Jack
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

chuff_n_puff

The Russians had a Nuclear powered train that was a dud many years ago. It was kept top secret, but some info leaked out. I had an artist rendition of it and a report on my old PC that crashed on me and I lost all the info. It was about 50% longer than the Big Boy and was 2 stories high. I think they called it "Big Joe". The story said they got it about 100 feet outside the building where it was constructed and one of the reactors had a melt down and it sunk up in the permafrost, right where it set. They wanted to hold the "big loco" record, but had to cover up their blunder. I have not been able to find the article again. If anyone has any info on it, could you let me know.

Virginian

Speaking strictly to successful reciprocating steam locomotives: The Union Pacific Big Boy was the longest, The C&O/VGN Allegheny/Blue Ridge was the heaviest, and The Norfolk and Western Y6b had the greatest tractive effort..... after the VGN 2-10-10-2.  ;D   I don't count the Triplex because it was not successful.
"What could have happened... did."

Guilford Guy

Quote from: chuff_n_puff on January 31, 2008, 12:30:09 PM
The Russians had a Nuclear powered train that was a dud many years ago. It was kept top secret, but some info leaked out. I had an artist rendition of it and a report on my old PC that crashed on me and I lost all the info. It was about 50% longer than the Big Boy and was 2 stories high. I think they called it "Big Joe". The story said they got it about 100 feet outside the building where it was constructed and one of the reactors had a melt down and it sunk up in the permafrost, right where it set. They wanted to hold the "big loco" record, but had to cover up their blunder. I have not been able to find the article again. If anyone has any info on it, could you let me know.

?
Alex

r0bert

No, this is a big Steam Engine, not those tiny locmotives above ::)
http://www.titanic-titanic.com/titanic_engine_room.shtml

rains train

LOL, Titanic's engine room, I love the Titanic!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Alex

SteamGene

Join the Titanic Historical Society.  And yes, the Titanic had large steam engines, one of which was a turbine and one of the factors in her sinking.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Dr EMD

Quote from: Virginian on January 31, 2008, 01:06:41 PM
Speaking strictly to successful reciprocating steam locomotives: The Union Pacific Big Boy was the longest, The C&O/VGN Allegheny/Blue Ridge was the heaviest, and The Norfolk and Western Y6b had the greatest tractive effort..... after the VGN 2-10-10-2.  ;D   I don't count the Triplex because it was not successful.

The Union Pacific has the best public relation staff.
Talk about having a good agent!!
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)