News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

44 Ton Switcher and couplers

Started by markrin, January 25, 2008, 06:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markrin

I recently received 2 B&M 44 ton switchers.  Neither has kadee couplers.  One has no couplers, coupler covers or screws to attach the couplers/covers.  The other has horn/hook couplers installed.  I asked at my local shop what to use to replace them.  They didn't know and, sorry to say, didn't seem to care.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
markrin

jayl1

From the parts list of the new 44 tonner - cover plate - #80001-MT001, screw - #10114.  These should be available from Bachmann.  Use a Kadee 5 coupler - stronger than the plastic knuckle couplers.The hornhooks should just screw off - unless you have the older engines.  Sorry - can't help you with that.

Too bad your local shop has such "great" customer service..

RAM

kevin2083

# 5's dont work- the hole in the centering spring is too small.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

grumpy

Try the KADEE 158. I have used them quite often .
Don

r.cprmier

A coupler I don't hear much about is Kadee#58.  It is a coupler that has much better scale dimensions than it's #5 cousin.  I have been using them for awhile now, and have no gripes.  The fit and install is essentially identical.

The only GE 44-ton engine I have is a Keystone Locomotive Works-yeah, I know:  You never heard of it.  It is nice, readily lends itself to detail, and runs really smooth.  I have as yet to attempt a DCC install in it, though.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

Rich,

The "scale" couplers do look better , BUT, those of us who do lots of operating/switching/etc may want to avoid them. Their smaller gathering range makes them even less reliable. And, as it turns out, since they are designed to work with the regular couplers, they are still oversized in some demensions giving them just as much slack action.

If one is using Proto87 track standards, there is a better argument for these semi scale couplers, but as I long as run regular NMRA track/wheel standards I will stay with the regular Kadee coupler.

Personally, I use only Kadee couplers replacing all the "generic" ones before equipment ever sees the rails. But I also don't use any of the semi scale ones. In fact I just purchased a bunch of the regular ones from Kadee to refit some Kadee cars that came with thr semi scale ones.

On this same note I do not use any semi scale wheel sets. While many say they have had no problems, a simple understanding of how railroad wheels go through a turnout should convince anyone they are bad idea with regular NMRA track standards.

Go to the Fast Tracks web page and watch their video.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

Yeah...I was talking to someone at the show about the wheels-which I do use_and his reply was that they work very well on hand-laid track; in a show-type setup though, they are a chancy proposition at best, with all of the joints inherent in a true module system.

Now, I have some of that in the works-or at least using CV tie system, so we'll see.  They look good enough to chance, and they can always be replaced with Protos, Kadee, etc.  The 58s I'll stay with.  I'll tell you what-they look super on a locomotive pilot!

Rich
Rich

Atlantic Central

Rich,

The other problem I had when I tested a few #58 or #158 scale couplers was that when coupling them to regular kadee couplers more force is required than when coupling regular coupler to regular coupler.

As you may recall from past posts, I have done a lot of work with free rolling trucks - as the trucks become more free rolling, the force needed to couple cars becomes a factor. This is another reason I do not use the scale couplers.

Admittedly, if I was not pulling such long trains (average 35 cars, some longer) I would not be so concerned about these issues. but since one of my goals is to run reasonablely prototype length trains for my era and type of railroad, these things are very important.

As for wheel sets and free rolling, nothing beats Intermountain wheel sets in Kadee sprung trucks. Some other truck/wheel combinations come close, but exhaustive testing has shown this to be the real winner - increasing pulling capacity by as much as 40% for some locos.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

Sheldon;
Kadee sprung trucks-equalled only by Central Valley sprung trucks (when you can find them) are probably the top o' the line.  I have found that metal wheelsets in Tichy's trucks are a pretty good combination; especially when you have the trucks that can accept those nylon bushings; but his Bettendorf trucks are, I believe, acetal plastic, and the trucks do hold the line.

Couplers...a shot of graphite-or a combination of graphite and white graese sparingly applied to the coupler face seems to do well in that dept.  To date, I have had no problems with the disparity in size between the 58's and anything else similar, like #5s.  I have to date, had no real problems with the scale wheels.  Either I am a damned good track layer, or dame fortune's eyes are-a-twinklin'.  People say they have a tendency to foul in turnout gear, but I have found inimal problems there.

Rich
Rich

markrin

Thanks for the advice and help everybody!  I will order the parts and and I think I have both Kadee 5 and 58.

markrin