News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout

Started by SteamGene, January 31, 2008, 05:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

http://steamgene.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album02&id=PICT0078

This is an experiment to see if I can post pictures at long last.  If it works, this is the track from Hannahville to the west, going eastbound to Leesboro.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

It seemed to work, but that's the wrong picture.  This is the South River viaduct, going from Sarah's Mountain to the east and going west to Basic City.  Now - how to get the picture to pop in without hitting the link?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

Hmm.  Now I see several pictures, including Simba who is no longer allowed in the barn since he has eaten some tree material.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

japasha

Gene,

Quite a project. I like the parts you've gotten done. If you were closer to Knoxville I wouldn't mind helping.  I can also take pro pictures for you.

The viaduct will be impressive after the scenery is in. I took the liberty to spin through the slide show and see a few points are roughed in well. This makes it easier to see what your operation will be.

SteamGene

Japasha,
Thanks,
I'm still learning to use a digital camera.  I've used 35mm, 21/4 square, 4x6.5mm, and a few others and can take great pictures with them.  I think my digital is so easy it becomes hard.   :D
Knoxsville - hey, I can put you up for the night!   ;)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Hoople

Gene, we may not share tastes in locomotives, but bridges...

I could get used to that.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

WoundedBear

Gene....

Get yourself a mini tri-pod and put the camera onto manual and set to the largest f stop value you have. Also try and look for the "macro" symbol on your camera. It usually looks like a flower icon......when used in conjunction with the manual f stop, your depth of field and overall focus will improve on the close range shots.

Sid

SteamGene

I've seem to have loaded all the pictures that were in the camera.   If you find the picture that looks something like a small neglected cemetary - it isn't, exactly.  Know what it is?
Gene 
Chief Brass Hat

TonyD

I don't know what it is, not my vegetable garden is it? The nieghbor's front lawn? Now, what kind of grades do you have? Can you reach all the track in a wreck or track work? How long are your sidings? How many switches? What brand and power are they? You have a foot + of rise, mountain side scenery? I have more questions next time....you are doing an impressive job in your....old church? school? town hall? nice space, I've seen smaller club layouts...I'm happy for you! tony
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Jake

Quote from: WoundedBear on January 31, 2008, 09:05:41 PM
Gene....

Get yourself a mini tri-pod
and put the camera onto manual and set to the largest f stop value you have. Also try and look for the "macro" symbol on your camera. It usually looks like a flower icon......when used in conjunction with the manual f stop, your depth of field and overall focus will improve on the close range shots.

Sid

Just giving my input on that...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/82db/

It is a mini tripod with flexible legs, so it can cling to just about anything. (Great for benchwork!!) I have one and I love it!
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

Tony,
My wife paid for a two car garage+, built to a plan done by Sheldon who also designed the basic layout.  The nominal grade is 2 per cent max - I need to make some adjustments.  Track is Atlas, code 100 for mainline and yards, 83 for most sidings.  Turnouts are Atlas #6.  I'm using DCC, with five divisions - staging, East and West Penninsulas, Leesboro, and reverse loop.  The stored locos will be on track that can be turned off, which will probably also be the case for South River Yard.  
I think we've learned that 35 sound equipted DCC locos don't need to come up at once.  

No, it's not your vegtable garden.  Very famous.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

TonyD

You are right Gene! my garden has more weeds than that, so this must be 'last stand hill', you have to wonder if that was all about the Northern Pacific ready to lay track in Montana....I believe there was congressonal committees that looked into that- co- incidence, the more thing change.... i like the changes in the scenery! Nice cloud artist you have, I did all sorts of things with the 'greatlands sugar beet'  buildings too, very 'industrial revolution' kitbashing material, I did a paper mill near my house, along the B&A, people say the model looks better than the real place ever did... under the airconditioner....is that a concrete viaduct? whoooooa..... btw, the whole building is layout??? you have the sweetest wife in the whole wide world!!!!   
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

SteamGene

No concrete viaduct.  Just risers that will be covered once scenery really starts.  Yeah, we've been married since 1969 and she is sweet.
Yes, the hill became famous after a hot June Sunday in 1876. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

Gene,

Looks GREAT!, glad to see you are making good progress.

Sheldon

bevernie

;)It's refreshing to see that there is actually someone else in this world who has a "train room" in as much (maybe) mess as my own!!There are ideas and projects in various stages of "work" (none is near completion!!) and "junk" is all over everywhere! The times (rare) that I get to work on it are spent upstairs on this stupid (SLOW) computer!... Think I'll quit playing on this computer for a bit, and go downstairs to work on the "TRAIN ROOM"!!
                                     :o                                                  Ernie
                                                                            Hendersonville, NC
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com