News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Layout Book

Started by AGRTERP4LIFE, February 04, 2008, 11:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I got my book yesterday. After posting the reply I had from Ehobbies, the book arrived three hours later.
I'm of mixed feelings about it.
Chris Lane and Lee Riley did a wonderful job of putting it all together with all the neat pics.
As for the substance, I'm disappointed.  I haven't read it word for word, cover to cover, yet, but I've "speed read" through every page.
There is not a single mention of 2" straights anywhere. There is a small pic of all the crossings that shows the 90 crossing with the 2 inchers, but no mention of the 2's. In the EZ Track list at the back there is no mention of the 2's, even under the 90 crossing listing. Why is Bachmann still trying to keep those a secret?
We've had much discussion on here about the value of the 2's in creating track plans and how they enhance the options available for track plans.
It does tell how to cut EZ Track with a saw.
It seems the book is meant to convince people to use EZ Track. The trouble is that the people who will buy the "EZ Track" book are the people who are already using EZ Track like me or just bought a Bachmann set. They sure get down on "flex track" in the book.
Only nine "new" track plans are in there. The other 17 are from the old book. A larger variety of track plans would better convince people of the merits of using EZ Track in obtaining the layout design they want.
The section on Cass and the number of pages devoted to it seems more like a commercial for Cass.
The information in the sections on scenery, wiring, and bench work is already available in a number of other books on the market, so nothing new there except for the newby to the hobby.
I guess I was anticipating something more like the "101 Track Plans" book.
As most of you know, I'm already a big fan of EZ Track and I would recommend it to newbys and those who just like looking at the pics and the layouts others have made.
This is just my opinion.
How about a follow-up book devoted just to EZ Track plans?
Feel like a Mogul.