News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Switch #5

Started by DrTrainMan, February 04, 2008, 09:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrTrainMan

What Bachmann curve would match the curve of the #5 switch to make the two tracks run parallel? I do not want to cut any track, and flex track is too expensive. Is there any Bachmann curve out there that matches the #5 switch that I can buy?

SteamGene

Flex track too expensive?  It comes in units of one yard in length.  I think you will find it is far less expensive than EZ-Track. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear Dr.,
The #5 switch has no curve, so there is no matching curve. You will have to trim a piece of track to come back parallel.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Yampa Bob

When working out your track geometry , don't think about curves (radii), think about "divergent angles".  Any piece that deviates from a straight line has a divergent angle.  An 18" radius curve piece has a divergent angle of 30 degrees.  It takes 6 pieces to make a half circle, or 180 degrees.   22" is 22.5 degrees, requiring 8 to make a half circle.  (we're talking full pieces).  Obviously a 1/2 piece of 18" would diverge 15 degrees, a 1/3 piece 10 degrees and so on.

While it is true that the #5 has no fixed "curve", it does have a divergent angle.

The divergent angle of Bachmann #5 turnout is 12 degrees.  Geometrically You can return to parallel by using a piece of 33.25" radius part # 44509.  which is also 12 degrees.  The problem with this method is that the spacing will be way too wide.  For the usual parallel track,  you'll have to use flex or cut a radius piece the proper length as previously suggested.  That would be slightly shorter than a 1/2 -18" piece, or a tad longer than 1/2 of a 22" piece.  I don't enjoy cutting EZ track, so I just cut a piece of regular Code 100 snap track and add some roadbed. Cut a bit long, then trim down until the tracks are parallel.

The 12 degree divergent angle is not shown in the Bachmann catalog and is not common knowledge,  but I found a web site that has a divergent degree table for most popular turnouts.  By using a protractor and a straight edge, you can estimate the divergent angle of any turnout. 

For the math whizes, a suitable calculator set to "radians" will give you the length of arc for a specific radii and angle or calculate using geometric formulas.  At my age, that gives me a headache, so I usually just stick on a curved piece and cut at the length that takes me where I want to go.

(Often heard:  "I cut the thing twice and it's still too short" )

Yampa Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

hgcHO

Yampa Bob,

Excellent reply - coped & pasted and  put in my knowledge H O Folder.

Thank you so much

Harry

Woody Elmore

My trig students used to groan, "Not radians!" Calculators make it easy and Yampa's explain of frog angle is about as clear as it can be.

As a math teacher I found that if you want to clear a room just mention"radians","locus" or (heaven forbid) "logarithms." Logarithms have joined buggy whips, steam engines and vinyl records (thank goodness.)

Yampa Bob

You're welcome, Harry

Woody, my math teacher was also the phys ed instructor, and carried a ball bat around the classroom.  We got the message. 

Good luck with your project, Dr TrainMan.

Yampa Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Santa Fe buff

Dr. Trainman,

What I would do is buy cheap Atlas flex track and bend it at your angle, since E-Z track uses jointers, you can use regular track,  just buy some cheap or homemade railroad bed.
Homemade-
regular extra cheap rail bed that isn't worth anything
HO coal-or any kind of ground cover
and the track and nails-(duh)

First: cut and turn the railbed into your turn-if it won't bent-cut into BIG peices and put each one on a different angle= turn!

Second: cover the rail bed with the covering.

Third: place track over new beding. Note! if the railbed is too short-add covering to heigthen the size.

Fourth: connect rails using jointers.

Finally: fill in any gaps or sides of rails= perfect match.
NOTE!
make sure measurements are EXACT! ~Santa Fe buff~
Price- flextrack> about $3+$4+$3=only $10!
                                 HO coal^-^and railbed

- Joshua Bauer

WoundedBear

Santa Fe Buff.....your input and ideas are appreciated, but you have a lot to learn.

Sid

steveeusd

Bach-Man

Many custom made options have been brought to light on this subject.  Is there a possibility Bachmann would consider offering curved sections for #5 and/or #6 switches so tracks come parallel with reasonable spacing between the them, may be a distance equal to the #6 "crossover" switches?  It really seems as though a large demand exists for such an item. 

Please talk to management, design engineers, etc.

Thanks,

Steve

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
I will indeed pass this thread along.
Thanks!
the Bach-man