News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 or On3

Started by O-Beginner, May 01, 2007, 11:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O-Beginner

so i'm new at this and i was wondering what is the difference between On3 and On30 ???

Hunt

Both are 1:48 scale

Some of the main differences
On3 models 3 foot gauge prototype
On30 models 30 inch gauge prototype
On30 -- uses HO scale wheels and track geometries
Track gauge
On3 -- 19.0 mm
On30 -- 16.5 mm (same as HO)
Coupler height
On3 -- 14.3 mm
On30 -- 9.93 mm (same as HO)

On3 equipment usually cost more than On30

ebtnut

I might amplify the answer a bit.  Traditionally, On3 has been a minority "craftsman" scale, modeling 3 foot gauge prototypes (D&RGW, SP, EBT, WP&Y, etc.).  Most of the locomotives available in recent years have been pricey brass imports (like $1,500 and up).  Rolling stock is either import brass or craftsman kits. 

On30 got started as "fringe" by some modelers not able or willing to put out the big bucks for On3, and began adapting HO mechanisms and wheelsets with 1/4" scale bodies.  In general, much of this was essentially freelance.  Bachmann got into the game via the Department 56 Christmas village crowd, who wanted a train that better matched their wares than HO.  The result with the original Mogul passenger set.  Bachmann was smart enough to choose an actual prototype loco (a small Cooke DSP&P engine) and bring it in with a decent mechanism and adequate detail to appeal to many "scale" modelers.  Bachmann has built on this with freight rolling stock and additional loco models.  For the most part the freight stock follows small 3 foot prototypes.  The Shay and Climax were multi-gauge prototypes, and there were a number of 30" gauge logging lines around the country.  The Climax can be regauged to On3 in about 20 minutes.  The 2-8-0 follows a Baldwin 30" gauge prototype used in Mexico.  The Forneys are very close to 2-foot gauge Sandy River engines.  I might point out that the list of "commercial" (as opposed to dedicated industrial,  mining or logging lines) 30 inch gauge railroads in the U.S. can probably be counted on one hand.  On30 is essentially a low-cost compromise to getting into O scale narrow gauge modeling.  If you like it, do it! 

finderskeepers

I should add that many of bachmann's On30 offerings are easily convertable to On3, and many individuals offer services to convert them if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. San Juan has just announced new RTR switches  in On3, and PSC offers flextrax if handlaying is not your thing.

BIG BEAR

Probably one of the most enticing thing with On30 is that it runs on HO track. The most popular scale, easiest to find, easy to get what you want
in trackage.
    You don't have exact tie spacing, But I'm not a rivet counter anyhow.
    HO track also takes up alot less space than Lionel O scale. Besides I've never seen a train , outside of cog railways, that run on three rails.  Have you?

Enjoy,

Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

ebtnut

While you can use any HO track for On30, the tie size and spacing is not correct for O scale narrow gauge.  In addition to PSC, I believe Micro Engineering makes On30 flex.  I think they also just announced the availability of matching ready-to-lay turnouts as well.

kendoitall

Quote from: O-Beginner on May 01, 2007, 11:02:50 PM
so i'm new at this and i was wondering what is the difference between On3 and On30 ???

six inches ;D
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

amdaylight

Quote from: kendoitall on May 07, 2007, 07:35:08 PM
Quote from: O-Beginner on May 01, 2007, 11:02:50 PM

six inches ;D

Nah get it right it is only an 1/8 of an inch ;D ;D :D ;) :)
Andre

Ken Schei

Well, neither answer is correct.  The difference between On30 (0.65") and On3 (0.75") is 0.10", which is equal to 4.8 inches in 1/48 scale.  On30 gauge is actually 31.2 inches in 1/48 scale.

Cheers, Ken

kendoitall

Quote from: Ken Schei on May 10, 2007, 01:59:33 PM
Well, neither answer is correct.  The difference between On30 (0.65") and On3 (0.75") is 0.10", which is equal to 4.8 inches in 1/48 scale.  On30 gauge is actually 31.2 inches in 1/48 scale.

Cheers, Ken

:(
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

amdaylight

Quote from: Ken Schei on May 10, 2007, 01:59:33 PM

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken now all my nit pick snobbish On3 friends can get of my back, I kept telling them that it was closer to 3' than 2'  ;D ;D, besides I have a whole railroad for what they spent on one loco :o :o. I think the bottom line is we have more fun in On30 tham they do in On3.

Andre' ;D :D ;) :)