News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Code 100 vs Code 83

Started by Beatthe9ers, February 08, 2008, 05:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

Grumpy;
I played out in bands for twenty five years, and not ONCE did the ugly girls ever look good any time.
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

NevinW

While code 83 generally looks better than code 100, if code 100 is properly painted and ballasted, can look very good.  Particularly true if you are modeling a heavy duty railroad like the UP, PRR or N&W.  I was invited to see a very large impressive prototypically exact N&W layout in northern Maryland last year and it looks absolutely fantastic.  Everyone was surprised to find out it was all code 100. 

Where the smaller rail really shines is if you are taking photographs.  Code 100 looks really large and out of place in photos.  My current layout is all code 70 and code 55 and I am really pleased with it. -  Nevin 

pgarman

I have no gripe with code 100 track but with the small locos I have (bachmann 10 wheelers & a new Roundhouse old time consolidation) code 100 reminds me of my old O27 Lionel trainset.  If code 70 flextrack was priced any where near the cost of Atlas I'd probably use that.  I like the way EZ track couples together, & it's very sturdy. That said, the roadbed is way to high for a turn of the century RR.  As a temporary measure (till I begin my permanent pike) Atlas Tru track gets me by.  My two cents.

Yampa Bob.....I think you were the one talking about experts.  I have two definitations for expert:  #1 An expert is someone who learns more & more about less & less til he knows absolutely everthing there is to know about nothing.  #2 An ex is a has been & a spert is a drip under pressure.  lol

Bob do you live near CO 318? Thats the ownly part of the state (west of Denver) I've never been to.

b

Paul

Yampa Bob

I know where 318 is, takes off from Maybell....Check my thread  "yampa valley railroad"....in this section.   Post a reply if you like...

My layout is very basic but it suits me just fine and I have a lot of fun with it.   

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jhanecker2

Just looked out the window to check the color of the ties .  I live on railroad street and the UP  redid  the ties & reballasted the track  , CNW freight track to Belvidere  , last Summer .  New Ties were creosote Black  initially, but have faded to various shades of brown depending on age & exposure. The old ties removed were  darker where not exposed to light on their sides and bottoms. The rails were various shades of rust on their unused surfaces.  As to  Rail Code Sizes what does it really matter ?  If it works it's good enough .

rogertra

Jhanecker2 wrote: -

"As to  Rail Code Sizes what does it really matter ? "

To me?  A lot.

I want somewhat realistic track, so for my 1959 GER I use code 70 rail, about 100lb rail in real life which is just fine for a 1959 secondary branch line system, which is what my GER is all about.

Besides, you can always tell code 100.  It's big, it's ugly no matter how you paint it.  :)

Yampa Bob

Well, there's the problem.  You like code 83 and that's fine, I have no problem with your desire for "realism".  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Would you be welcome in my home if you called my track ugly?  Would it not be better to say code 100 is not as realistic, I can accept that.

People can disagree without being derogatory.

Bob

r.cprmier

Awright, youse guys;
You got too much time on your hands?  This is a very old and just as silly argument!  If Joe Blow wants code 100 on his layout, so what?  It ain't coming out of your pocket!  I use 83!  So what?  I like it, and that is all that I give a hoot about.  I don't care who uses that or 100, or any other size. 
The both of you have better things to contribute here than that kind of garbage!  Dig into your minds and help someone who needs it; you are both quite capable!
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

rogertra

Actually Bob, I don't use code 83.  I use code 70 and a little code 55.

And saying that code 100 is "big and ugly no matter how you paint it" is only being derogatory to code 100 rail, which last time I looked was an inanimate object.

There was also a smiley on the end of the sentence indictating that  what was said was said, at least partially, in jest.

Code 100 rail has, for me at least, spoilt the look of many a fine looking model railroad featured in the magazines.  There's no need for code 100 rail, in HO at least.   It should be discontinued by every manufacturer.  It doesn't work any better than the smaller codes, it's not easier to install, it's more difficult to cut, and it looks what it is.  A sturdy track, designed for use in train sets.

I still stand by my personal opinion that code 100 rail is big and ugly.  It's a personal opinion Just like all sound systems sound like tinney 1960s transistor radios.  It's personal.

You are free to disagree, you are free to use code 100 rail,  but that is my personal opinion.

Beatthe9ers

As the person that started this thread I would just like to point out that my original questions have been answered in full.

That is all.

Parker

Woody Elmore

If you use code 83 or 70 on your home layout you begin to see how code 100 rail seems to be oversize.

You can paint it and bury it with a lot of ballast to disguise it.

I have no problem using code 100 rail.

It's a matter of preference - digustibus non disputandum est.

Yampa Bob

I can definitely address one issue.  Atlas just upgraded all their Code l00 turnouts.  I hate to disappoint anyone, but Code 100 is here to stay. 

Asking that all factories discontinue something I don't like is akin to asking Ford to quit making trucks because at the moment I drive Dodge.

Bob

TonyD

Oh no. this started out as an intelligent question about rail heights, now I see latin phrases bandied about...this bodes an ill wind... let us pray no one pulls Anzio Annie out of her polystyrene tunnel's lair.... I for one shall withdraw to the nuetrality of my basement sanctuary..... where my John Bull has just convinced me to back date the layout to an even earlier 'pre bellum' time..... keeping the 700 feet of code 100 in place of course.... pax dudes... 
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Clear Block

I have not seen it posted but what does the effect on temperature and expansion and contraction to the rails. does the smaller rail in code 83 act better or worse then code 100 track?  I had an issue with flex track (c100) warping very sharply. I could not even run a single freight car over it w/o replacing it.

SteamGene

How about some more details with your problem with flex track.  Two questions:
What's your roadbase/ssubroadbase?
Who is the track attached to the base?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"