News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Code 100 vs Code 83

Started by Beatthe9ers, February 08, 2008, 05:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatthe9ers

Can someone tell me the physical difference between code 100 and code 83 track?  Further, could you give me a quick rundown of why someone might use one over the other?

Thanks

Yampa Bob

Code 100  rails are .100" high with black ties. Code 83 is .083" high with brown ties. I'm only familiar with Bachmann and Atlas, other brands may look different.

Most "fine scale modelers" prefer the Code 83 for a more prototypical appearance, and the ties are closer to scale in size and spacing.  Some modelers use both, 100 on the main lines carrying heavier freight, and 83 for sidings or yards.   Transition joiners are available to make the different rail heights match up. 

I've never seen brown ties on full scale tracks, at least not up here.  New ones are black and fade into a dirty gray.  I like the Code 100 as it is a bit sturdier. 

Bachmann EZ track is code 100 and is compatible with other brands of 100 track.
It's your choice.

Yampa Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

r.cprmier

Once upon a time I spied an E-7 pic'ed on a stretch of code 83, and from then on, said "Hasta Luigi" to code 100.  Today, about the only function code 100 has is to look really oversized on any layout.  About the only place I will use it is in a staging yard, and at that, not visible; and the only reason is that I have a bunch of it left over from my last "layout".

Today, with the flanges on drivers being more to scale-not to mention the profile wheelsets I am slapping on everything I have, about the highest rail I use IS code 83.  I will not use it in yards, sidings, etc; as it looks a bit silly on what is supposed to be light non-mainline rail.

I don't mean to sound like a rail-snob; I just think that better looking stuff than code 100 is available.  I have a sneaking hunch that it acts better in operations, too.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

NelsOn-30

An HO scale inch is .0115” actual measurement.

Code 100 is 8.7” in HO scale

Code 83 is 7.2”

Code 70 is 6”

Code 55 is 4.7”

Code 40 is 3.5”

Hope this helps.
Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

Yampa Bob

Hi Rich
You don't mean to be a rail snob, you are a rail snob. LOL.  But that's ok, new modelers need to know all the pros and cons. 

I just checked  Atlas and Bachmann Code 100 track with a very precise digital caliper, they are both .100" high.  I don't know about the other brands or codes.

Yampa Bob

PhilipCal

I use Code 83 exclusively. Most of the experts seem to recommend it. When all is said and done, it's your railroad. You run what you want.

r.cprmier

I don't know about the other brands or codes.

HI Bob;

Yeah...They are because they probably buy the rail from the same jobber.  Wouldn't be the first time it ever happened.

Signed;
Richie the rail snob...

PS:  Code 83 is probably gaining more popularity as more modellers move through this hobby.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Price for code 83 seems to be coming down.  That does not mean I'm going to rip up all the laid code 100 and convert to code 83 for main and code 70 for branch and sidings.  Once track has been painted and ballasted, it's hard to tell them apart.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Beatthe9ers

Thank you, all.

There must be some benefit, or at least perceived benefit to having higher track?  Is it possible that some trains need higher clearance?

ninnypooper

yes it is.  older trains had larger wheel flanges and therefore needed higher rails. I also have some Marklin cars that could not be used on code 83 track because of the large flanges.  It was thought that this would solve derailment problems. Today most trains have flanges that are to scale and don't need high rails. Buy a pack of each and see what you like better. the cost is the same for each.  If you don't have any old trains then you can choose ether one.

Beatthe9ers

Okay, so if I am starting from jump street there is no particular value in the code 100.  Got it.

Yampa Bob

Atlas must have different statistics, as they just redesigned  all their Code 100 turnouts.  Before I made the choice, I called them and was told 100 is actually growing in popularity.  I know one hobby shop that doesn't even carry the 83.  Could be because he got stuck with a truckload of 100?  The Atlas catalog says "Code 83 is the choice of discerning modelers" which Webster defines as " Insightful, perceptive."   

There will never be a clear "winner" in the code debate but it makes for fun reading.

Over the years we picked up hundreds of discarded ties left by UP along the tracks through our ranch, to build corrals.  They were all black.  Maybe Code 83 has brown ties so when a guy paints the rails rusty brown it doesn't matter if it slops onto the ties.

Bob

ebtnut

Most serious modelers today use Code 83 rail for main line track because it is closer is scale size to prototype rail used in most cases.  Code 100 was the de facto standard in HO from at least the 1940's until the 1970's, and the NMRA track standards are based on its use.  In the 1960's Code 70 rail was developed primarily for narrow gauge track.  Code 83 came in the 1980's, along with code 55. 

The intent is more closely model the rail weights used by the prototype.  Real rail is measured in pounds per yard.  Most main line track today uses rail of about 136 lb., which is about what code 83 represents.  Code 70 rail represents rail of about 100 lb., which is used on secondary tracks, spurs, yards, etc.  Code 100 rail represents 156 lb. rail, which was only used by the Pennsylvania RR back in steam days on their most heavily-used main line tracks. 

As for tie color, freshly-creosoted ties look almost black.  However, even after a relatively short time, they begin fading to a dark brown, then finally to a browish-grey.  Unless you are modeling a railroad that has just laid completely new track with new ties, the black color is really not correct.  The brown ties, especially under typical basement lighting, have a much better visual appearance, especially when ballasted. 

Serious modelers will also paint the sides of the rail to further make it more prototypical in appearance.  Floquil, for one, make a Rail Brown paint just for this purpose.  Some use a small paint brush; others will use an airbrush.  In any event, if you paint your rails make sure to clean the top surfaces VERY well before running anything. 

Amtrak_Titan

I use Code 83 and people say it is realistic.

Yampa Bob

I keep seeing references to "expert", "serious", "knowledgeable", "professional", etc. 

It seems today that when someone has an opinion, they have to call up a great army of third parties to support their preferences.  Why can't people just state their preferences and let others decide for themselves.   That's the problem with the world today, everyone thinks their way should be the only way.  Last I heard this is still a free country.

I am extremely serious about my modest railroad, very knowledgeable, but will never call myself an  "expert" because things are constantly changing. 

If someone says "I prefer Code 83 because I like the way it looks",  that's fine, that doesn't degrade or belittle my preferences.  Notice I used terms like "fine scale modelers" and "discerning modelers", "insightful" and "perceptive".   In other words I respect other's choices and opinions.  But opinions are like (rear ends), everyone has one.

This hobby is supposed to be fun.  I thoroughly enjoy my layout, even if it is "substandard" and  not "correct". 

Yampa Bob