News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Frames for Freight cars

Started by ebtbob, February 03, 2007, 07:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Mr B,

I can see you guys have been extremely busy getting this new site up and running and having lost connection to the old site I would like to ask if you ever had a chance to find out whether the new frames for the cars,  allowing them to sit lower,  would be available as a seperate item.   I do not remember seeing anything from you other than the promise to check into the subject for which I am extremely grateful.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

the Bach-man

Hi, Bob-
Still hoping, and still trying...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

mmiller

does anyone have comparison pictures showing old vs. new?
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Dusten Barefoot

I am not shure on how the frames are gonna look. Will it make the cars lower to the grownd aaaa. will it be realistic and last qustion will the frames look as if there were built as a newer look like cars of today or do you mean just wood and steel beams and such?
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

ebtbob

Mr. B......

Thank you for your efforts.  Much appreciated.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

OldStone

Goodmorning all:

Looking at my new (?) and old (?) high-side gondolas......the frames have not changed except that the bolsters are flush with the bottom of the frame on the "hunker-down" (new) types. It appears that the two frames  would be quite interchangeable.  They keep the couplers at the same height by using center-set shanks on the "hunker-downs" versus the over-set on the old cars.

The "hunker-downs" have no light showing between the wheels and the bottom of the car.....looks neat!....prototypical or not?

Cheers 

jpipkin

I haven't yet seen the new lowered cars.  It sounds like what many have been doing on their own.  Removing the raised bolster on the truck frame.

Jim P

hminky

You mean like this:

As I said three years ago, whose idea was that stupid underslung coupler, it sure didn't look real.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/couplers/

If you want a better On30 coupler, use the Accumate standard HO coupler.

Jeez, this has become a real forum format, 'bout time

Harold

ebtbob

Oldstone,

I would say the new frame gives the cars a more proto appearence.  If you look at pix of narrow gauge cars in the real world,  you see that they sit down quite low over their frames as opposed to their standard gauge brothern.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

Maine 2 Foot

I for one am anxiously awaiting the news of this, as I have yet to buy too many cars.

Thanks in advance, Mr Bach-mann

Vince

hminky

Just got some new "hunkered" boxcars. They are the same height as the old ones with the lug on top of the truck bolster removed and the older wheels (see the above link in my earlier post). The frame just hides the car bolster inside the body. The new trucks have a smaller lug on the bolster.

The new wheels are .010 less in diameter with a better flange profile and narrower wheel tread, appears to be the newer HO contours. They do not have a deep dish inside the wheel diameter, I like the old ones better.

Just a thought
Harold

hminky

......and the new boxcars have seperate ladders and nice delicate rungs.

Harold

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I'm waiting for the return of Mr. Riley from Nurenburg to get an update.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

shayman

Hi Harold
Could you post a picture of the new box car for us to see? :o
shayman
Logging up Deep Creek

Maine 2 Foot

Mr. B, any word on this subject????

Thanks

Vince