Magnetic Couplers and IHC Passenger Cars?

Started by BradKT, February 09, 2008, 09:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradKT

Can magnetic couplers be used with passenger cars built by International Hobby Corporation?  I believe that they are also called "knuckle couplers."

I noticed that the couplers with the IHC cars are similar to the old Ahearn style couplers, but they have a very long neck to allow for clearance on turns.  I have several Bachman and Ahearn diesel locomotives (F-3 or F-7 A and AB units that I put Bachman magnetic couplers on) with the magnetic couplers.  Can the couplers on the IHC passenger cars be replaced and with what?  Or do I have to go back to the old Ahearn couplers and put them on the Bachman and Ahearn diesel locomotives?

Guilford Guy

What radius of curve are you using? HO knuckle couplers (IHC cars have horn hooks) are often referred to by the manufacturer who makes the couplers. Kadee's are the best being all metal, while McHenry's work okay on shorter trains.
Alex

BradKT

Answer:

22" radius curved track (making a half-circle of 44") and 18" radius curved track (making a half-circle of 36").  This is over a layout that covers 2 4'x8' pieces of plywood in an L-shape.  If you can visualize it, there are 2 "L's" within each other (plus switches between tracks).  The outer "L" uses 22" radius curved track and the inner "L" uses 18" curved track).

grumpy

The latest IHC units are using knuckle couplers.
Don ::)

Guilford Guy

You may want to consider body mounting the cars, and adding several ounces of weight. Probably test with a couple of the IHC cars to see how much spacing you need to the diaphragms won't collide when the cars go around curves. Buy some couplers and coupler boxes http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page47.htm , and superglue them to the underbody of the car. You may need to add some styrene shims so the couplers will sit at the proper height. I have had an IHC train of body mounts make it around my friends layout which consists of 22" curves. You could also try snipping off the current coupler and supergluing a new one in its place although body mounting is more reliable. If you have the time or money, replace the plastic IHC diaphragms with working HO ones. This will allow the cars to negotiate a sharper curve since if the diaphragms were to collide as a result of the curve being too sharp, the cars wouldn't derail.
Alex

BradKT

Thank you for the information, I have visited the Kadee Site and found the instructions and parts that I need to get.

You have been very helpful.  Thanks again.

SteamGene

Brad, I have a C&O passenger train set my wife gave me for our 25th wedding anniversary over ten years ago.  I bodied mounted Kaydees as B&O Fan said and it runs fine.  I used #5s and, as I remember,  I used a little sheet styrene as a platform between the bolsters to mount the Kadee pockets and didn't have to otherwise shim. 
Do Not regress to horn hook couplers.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"