News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wind deflectors

Started by ta152h0, February 10, 2008, 05:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

german steam locomotives generally have a wind deflector attached to the nose while american locomotives don't. is the air different on this side of the big pond ?

SteamGene

While German art has some gigantic masters, the locomotive designers were all art school drop outs or rejects.  They did what Shakespeare told them not to do; they tried to guild the lilly.  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

They are actually called smoke lifters and a few railroads in North America used them, but they never acheaved wide spread use in North America. They force air to lift the smoke up and away from the train. They have no other areodynamic function or benefit.

From what I know about them they are only effective at fairly high speeds (above 40-45 mph) and much of Americas railroading in the steam era was at relatively slow speeds - 40 mph and less.

The New York Central and the Union Pacific did use them on a lot of locos but few other roads had any interest at all.

Sheldon

japasha

Actually quite a few railroads used smoke deflectors. They just didn't use "elephant ears" as many railroaders called them The Western Pacific experimented and finally adopted a modified smoke stack. The AT&SF used a long extension for the smoke stack which was air actuated. The Milwaukee used a special lifter built into the casing shroud over the domes as did the SP, C&NW, NYC, and a few other roads. This meant easier access to the feedwater heater and other appliances. The D&H, NYC and UP used the large deflectors on but a few locomotives. The more compact applications were just as effective in normal operations. Anyone who has seen 4449 in action will note that the smoke is lifted almost 20 feet above teh train when there is some.  The coal roads had more of a need to direct ash and cinders away from the passenger cars.

Atlantic Central

And, the real significance of these other devices was most worked as well or better and often at slower speeds than the "elephant ear" deflectors.

But smoke lifting devices of all kinds where far from universial, many railroads saw no need for such devices and many of those mentioned by jaspasha where only used on selected locomotives even on those railroads.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

But smoke lifting devices of all kinds where far from universial, many railroads saw no need for such devices and many of those mentioned by jaspasha where only used on selected locomotives even on those railroads.

Yeah, Sheldon; but they look really cool on a big engine like a B&A A-6 Berkshire.  I am itching to find out what they might look like on a J-4 Hudson-with a-you guessed it-an Elesco Feedwater system.

Gene; Didn't the Vienna Art Conservatory turn down Schichelgruber?
And he was a pretty fair artist; but none of his paintings of scapes had any people...Hmmmmmmmmmm.  Maybe the lily was an 88MM Howitzer...Whatchathink?

Gutenaben, mien herr;
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

The C&O put them on a couple of passenger locos - a J3 and an L2(?) but they didn't last.  A J3 hit a concrete truck that slid down a hill onto the tracks and the elephant ears got blamed for hiding the truck. 

Rich,
Ja, er war.  I'd say his artistic ability was akin to his writing ability.  Both far below his oratoray ability; both far above his executive ability.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

japasha

Adolf thought he was a railway designer as well. He had a far fetched idea about a super train though his empire that would require an enourmous locomotive. No details on the smoke lifters on that project.

The Daylight 4-8-4s traveled at 80 mph when not stopping or on Cuesta Grade. The small lifter used on that locomotive group was very effective at those speeds. The 4300 series mountains also had the same lifter. The WP found that teh elephant ears caused a visiblity problem.

The european railways went to a higher mounted lifter that allowed better visibility because it had the lower piece removed so the track could be better seen. :)

ta152h0

I have the Marklin model 3102 articulated 2-6-8-2 which was supposed to be the super locomotive. I am astounded how the german railways have been able to duplicate the MARKLIN models into real locomotives. And how BALDWIN managed to copy the esquisitely detailed SPECTRUM series. ;D

RAM

Santa Fe found out that some engineers, like some truck drivers, do not read signs.  They had
sign that told the engineer to lower stack before entering the roundhouse, train sheds and other
lower overhead.  The results were the same as the 13 foot high truck going under a 12.6
underpass.

Yampa Bob

The February 2007 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman featured  "China's...and now Iowa's...mighty QJ 2-10-2 "  (I wonder if Lanny has seen one) with huge elephant ears. 

The author/modeler flew to China to research and brought back a lump of QJ coal for authenic weathering.

Henry Posner III bought 2, with an option on 3 more, and had them delivered to the Iowa Interstate Railroad.

It's a monster.
Stats:  4,700 built, 2,980 HP,  133 tons, 59" drivers, 50 tons water... Oh Oh ..minimum radius 475'.....65" HO...that lets me out LOL.

I wish I had a scanner so I could add the color pics to my collection.  One picture is of a doublehead going over the Simingyi bridge in Inner Mongolia.  Awesome.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

r.cprmier

Ram;
Every week or so, some nitwit driving a tractor trailer from down south or out west en route to Boston, et al, doesn't read too good either, and will manage to get from 684 onto the northbound Hutch, and when it turns into the Merritt, smack that stone underpass right by Greenwich, Ct.  The bridge has stood the test of time...

Richie the rail snob
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

Baltimore has a famous spot like that too. The PRR mainline is elevated through most of east Baltimore and the bridge over Monument Street has a 12'-8" clearance. When I worked in that part of town there was a truck stuck under there at least once a week - I'll bet it is still a regular acurance.

Sheldon

danmerkel

Maybe they should take a lesson from the railroads and install some chain telltales... I'd think that "most" truckers would hear them scratching on the roof of their cabs or trailers.

dlm

SteamGene

Waynesboro, Va used to have a beautiful Art Deco concrete bridge that took the N&W Valley Route track over Main Street/US 250, but it was only two lane and a bit low so they took it out and put a "utilitarian" bridge in its stead.  Shame.  The old one had the car lanes and two small lanes for pedestrians.  The N&W then passed under the C&O at Union Station, with N&W below and C&O above.  The strange thing is that the station had a coal trestle attached. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat