News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wind deflectors

Started by ta152h0, February 10, 2008, 05:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

Just to be pedantic , I never heard of any German Howitzer bored in 88mm .   German 88's  were usually  anti-aircraft guns or later on used on armored Vehicles such as tanks ( Tiger  I and  King Tiger ) and tank hunters ( Jag Panthers and Porsche Elefants ) The use as tank weapons came about  due to the use of the anti-aircraft  as anti-tank weapons in North Africa. There range was found to be  10.000 feet plus.

SteamGene

No, the Germans did not have a 8.8cm howitzer.  The 8.8cm was designed as a Fluegzeugabwherkannonen, but gained fame as a Panzerabwherkannonen.  It was also used in an anti-personnel role.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

war is hell but it brings out cool words like " kanonen "  ;D

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on March 27, 2008, 07:20:03 PM
No, the Germans did not have a 8.8cm howitzer.  The 8.8cm was designed as a Fluegzeugabwherkannonen.
Gene

Don'tcha just love those German compound words?  So long, that even the Germans contract them, hence "Flak". 

Not "Flack" as some people write.  :)

ta152h0

stopped the Me 262 in " mittflug " and the pilot would say " acht du lieber "....     

Yampa Bob

Is that similar for our "WTF?"

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Ja - er, yes.  ;)  And German is notorious for long compound nouns that get shortened.  I'm told that the German word for streetcar conductor (two words in English, one compound) translates into:" the man in the blue coat with brass buttons who collects tickets."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

:" the man in the blue coat with brass buttons who collects tickets."
Gene;
Did you forget the black boots...
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

I don't think so. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ta152h0

Now i know what to wear at a train show- a german compound word  ;D

r.cprmier

Sheldon;
About thirty years ago, I briefly drove tractor trailer for a living.  I mostly pedaled New Haven, Bridgeport, and south to M.t Vernon, etc.  I will always remember Bridgeport because of the viaduct-in fact, all along that viaduct, right through to Mount Vernon/ New Rochelle.  As a pedlar, you quickly became acquainted with that setup; and lots and lots of out of state/over the road truckers came to grief at any one of those low underpasses.  The one I used to love was just near the South Norwalk drawbridge, and many a overly large trailer didn't make it...Just like sardine cans...  Scrunnnnncccchhh!!!

Rich
Rich

Yampa Bob

And the guy from the adjacent looney farm said to let the air out of the tires, and he was in there because he was crazy, not stupid.   :D

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

r.cprmier

Bob;
When you are approaching a bridge that is marked "12-6", and your trailer is 13-6, you do not go under that bridge; because the flattest truck tire in the world will not give you the clearance needed; especially if the road tilts upward on the other side-like it does on your side.  There is a reason for the term "stupid".
Rich

ta152h0

I have a 2-10-2 lettered  New York, New Haven and Hartford. Such a cool sounding american compound word.

r.cprmier

have a 2-10-2 lettered  New York, New Haven and Hartford. Such a cool sounding american compound word.

a NICE LOOKING ENGINE...With a nice sounding name.  I do hope it is prototypically correct.  The proto-police, y'know...
Rich