News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What's your favorite locomotive??

Started by Trainguy95, February 10, 2008, 09:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainguy95

Hey,
  This post is only asking a simple question....what's your favorite locomotive?I do know that there will be a lot of favorites but I am just curious about them. My favorite is the GP40. So whats your favorite?? Photos are welcome!

-Trainguy

taz-of-boyds

In general any American steam is my favorite.  Though right now I really like the ten wheelers used by the Cumberland & Pennsylvania railroad in passenger service.  I like the Russian decapods WM used on the C&P.  Articulated locos are a general favorite.
Charles

Simon Greasly

boy this will take some time.
for starters in terms of steam Locomotives
The Santa Fe Blue Goose, NYC commodore Vanderbilt, Milwaukee Road Hiawatha Streamliner, PRR S1, N&W Class J, and the PRR K4 streamliner to name few.
Electric,
GE E60CP, E44, GG1, Milwaukee Road Bipolar, and the Budd Metroliners.
Diesel.
E8, PA, C-liner, DL-109, F40PH, F45, and the F9
other.
My Two all time favourite other types would be the Turbo Train and the UP Gas Turbines 
City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, and the Mallard. Who will be the next to break the speed.

RoundupBob

STEAM-STEAM-STEAM-STEAM and more STEAM! 1900 to 1960 I like the 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain best with the 4-8-8-4 Big Boy second. My main line is Union Pacific. If I had to go a difference line it would be Northern Pacific. STEAM RULES

taz-of-boyds

Here is one on-line photo of the C&P tenwheeler:

http://www.mountsavagehistoricalsociety.org/c&p/new-10.jpg

It is from (if the above link does not work):

http://www.mountsavagehistoricalsociety.org/c&p/SLIDESHOW1.htm

There are better shots in books, but this one is on-line.
Charles

Update:  Here is another shot of #10 4-6-0:

http://www.mountsavagehistoricalsociety.org/c&p/images/e10.jpg

nhmanhere59

My favorite locomotive is the 4-6-0 camelback or Mother Hubbard that the "CNJ" used for years. My grandfather was an engineer on them for almost 40 years,and they ran past my house everyday during my youth.

PRRThomas11

For steam my favorite is definitely the New York Central's 20th Century Limeted streamlined Hudson.

For diesel it would be the E8...

...or the the RS3

And for electric, of course, the GG1

PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Trainguy95

For my favorite steam locomotive I would have to say the Mallard or The Flying Scottsman. Really beutiful steam locomotives beutiful.

robderebel

Favorite Steam?

In New York Central steam:   Niagra 484, Mohawk 482, Hudson, 464 in all three major versions:  the standard J1 E, the bullet nose Century limited, the Empire state express,  Mikado: the H10 a or B.
   And if Bachmann ever gets the small motor situation solved, how about a very unique locomotive the 466T  its a passenger  steamer that ran in both directions without turning.  It looked and was very powerful.  Nice looking loco
with lot of room in the boiler and cab for motor, flywheel, and weight.
460 would be nice to have.

Rob

Inder

Mine has got to be the connie.
I know there are faster and bigger locos with better stories but I just dig the way the Baldwin Consolidation looks

ole

As an early diesel fan (before 1970, my vote is for the GP-30. For me, it is one of a few freight diesels with a little bit of styling to the body. Lee In Tucson
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada

Cascade Northern

Steam would have to be a Lima Shay

Diesel would have to be an Alco RSD-4 (#201 in the photo)

KCC #201 is the last RSD4 in the world, now located in Snoqualmie, WA.

Electric would have to be a GE EP-2 Bi-Polar