News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Chivers Finelines Caboose

Started by #94, February 10, 2008, 09:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have painted and lettered the caboose for the Allegan & Lake shore R.R. These are nice "little" all plastic kits. My question is: as the tail end car do I need to add any weight ?

David(UK)

My experience is that all the Chivers cars could benefit from some added weight
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

jpipkin

I just built one that I converted to two axles.  It definitely needed some weight.

br549

Jpipkin, how about posting some pic's of your Chivers conversion? Did you use BVM axle posts?  I have 3 kits waiting for construction and the trucks supplied are too bulky for me.

jpipkin

I just tried to upload a picture, but the Bachmann site would not allow it due to too large a size.  I used Grandt Line SR&RL Railcar Pedestials with Kadee 36" (HO) wheels mounted to an inner frame.  I also added larger Grandt Line C&S caboose windows to the sides, replacing the existing window and adding another one for two windows per side.  There were other changes, but the bottom line is that it now sits a little lower and looks great with Porters and gas mechanicals.

Jim

br549

Thanks for trying to post a pic anyway, The parts you mentioned helps tremendously. It sounds like a real nice build. Thanks!