Bachmann item # 41-0658-A4 N&W CLASS J locomotive and tender

Started by catsrus11, February 11, 2008, 05:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catsrus11

Hi there,
I recently purchased this unit used. I did not get any paperwork or manual with it. It comes with what looks like smoke fluid . Can you tell me how to use the smoke fluid ? Could you also give me an idea of the year of manufacture, and can I get the owners manual from bachmann?

Thank you...

SteamGene

Did it come in a box?  If so, what did the box look like and what lettering is on the box?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

catsrus11

Hi Gene,
It came in a big yellow box that says limited collectors edition on the top.
N&W class J  HO scale replica of the worlds fastest and most beautiful steam locomotive and tender.

loco road number is 608.

SteamGene

It doesn't sound like a Spectrum to me.  Now, if you read around in this forum you will find many others who will agree with me on this.  If you have a container of smoke fluid, your best bet is to place it in the nearest trash can.
Smoke is not realistic.  In addition, and much more important, it is an oil which, when it cools, falls back down on the layout, covering everything with a residue which messes up scenery and fouls the track.
I suspect you have one of the older Bachmann Js.  If so, good luck.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Mike

Catrus- It sounds like you have one of the older "pancake motor" J's that originally came out in the early to mid 80's. If the smoke unit works and you decide that you want to use it, it usually requires 3-4 drops of smoke oil down the stack. You will have to run it fairly fast to get enough voltage to cause the oil to vaporize aka "smoke". The residue left on the track, layout, etc. is a non-conductive mess, to say the least. These early units had some problems with quartering... the wheels would sometimes come loose from the axles and cause lockup. If you have any problems, since they have a lifetime warranty, you can always send it to Bachmann with a check (I don't remember if it is $15, $20, or $25 for HO...any help here, guys?). I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results!! FYI- The new engines do not have smoke units. Enjoy your trains- Mike

Virginian

Throw the "fluid" in the trashcan.  Put the engine on the track and see if it runs nice and smooth or not.  If it runs like I suspect, when it dies, hold a short service, and go look for a Spectrum or BLI version.
"What could have happened... did."

ta152h0

For information only, I can translate some of it but it is definitaly a DC old locomotive.

04029 / 1741
(2093B)  Bachmann
41-0658-A4  Amerikanische Schnellfahr-Dampflokomotive mit Schlepptender Class J der Norfolk & Western, Spur H0, Zweileiter Gleichstrom, Achsfolge 4-8-4, Kunststoff, schwarz/rot, Antrieb auf alle Treib- und Kuppelachsen, stromlinienförmig verkleidet, mit Rauchgenerator und Rauchöl, Betriebsnummer "600" golden im roten Streifen, seitlich am Tender "NORFOLK AND WESTERN" golden im roten Streifen, Länge ca 39 cm. Dies war eine der schnellsten Dampflokomotiven in Amerika, im Plandienst wurde mit 100 m/h gefahren. Sehr gut erhalten, wenig gefahren, Dampföl-Ampulle noch originalverschweißt, im Präsentationskarton "Limited Collctors Edition" mit Klarsichtfenster und Zierdeckel mit Lokomotivzeichnung, in Styropor-Formeinlage und Anweisung. 

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

catsrus11

Thank you guys one and all.you have answered all my questions.

I test ran this thing and i believe we'll just send it in for warranty work.

What a piece of @#@#!!!!!

Anyway  >:( thank you all for the help !!!

Pacific Northern

Quote from: catsrus11 on February 12, 2008, 07:18:57 PM
Thank you guys one and all.you have answered all my questions.

I test ran this thing and i believe we'll just send it in for warranty work.

What a piece of @#@#!!!!!

Anyway  >:( thank you all for the help !!!

So. why did  you buy it? Looks like you should have done a bit more homework befor you purchased it............
Pacific Northern

ta152h0

what kind of warranty you expect to be honored for such an old machine ?

SteamGene

IIRC, the warranty is supposed to be for the first buyer only.  After that it's "cavet emptor."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ta152h0

You can always incorporate this machine into your layout as a hangar queen ( in airplane terms )    roundhouse queen ??