Spectrum 2-8-0 motor - question for the Bachmann

Started by Pacific Northern, February 15, 2008, 09:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

A question for Mr. B, there is some confusion about which motor is in the Spectrum 2-8-0. The specs on the model page indicate a 5 pole motor yet others are insistant that it is a 3 pole Mabuchi motor and that the reference to the 5 pole is a mistake. Apparently when the Spectrum 2-8-0 first made its debut it had the 3 pole Mabuci motor and that the frame would require modifications to fit the 5 pole motor.

http://www.trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/2/1358709/ShowPost.aspx#1358709

Please advise, thanks
Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear DR,
I'll see what I can find out.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear DR,
I should have the definitive answer tomorrow.
the Bach-man

the Bach-man

Dear DR,
The originals had a five pole motor. A running change was instituted that replaced them with a highly efficient three pole motor with he same rating. thus, if your locomotive is recent production, it does have a three pole motor.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Pacific Northern

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 26, 2008, 11:50:05 PM
Dear DR,
The originals had a five pole motor. A running change was instituted that replaced them with a highly efficient three pole motor with he same rating. thus, if your locomotive is recent production, it does have a three pole motor.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Thanks, does "recent" refer to the DCC Onboard vs the DCC Ready lines?

You should have the information on the product page for the 2-8-0 updated s well as it indicates the use of a 5 pole motor.

Pacific Northern

Atlantic Central

This question reminds me of the guy in the Rolls Royce show room years ago who wanted to know the Horsepower of the 400 cid V8 in a 1973 Silver Shadow. In a time of newly emerging government control over emmision standards, Rolls Royce was reluctant to disclose how they managed to propell a 7,500 lb car at the rate of acceleration that it had and still meet the federal standards - So rather than disclose actual HP ratings, their reply was that the HP was "adequate" for the job.

While I agree Bachmann should not falsely represent the the specs of their models, I think actual performance out weighs any "specification". I know my own hifi speaker designs are proof of that - all built with simple and inexpensive componants yet ravied about by people who own $10,000 sets of speakers.

Sheldon

Pacific Northern

The reason for the question was based on the fact some forum members on this board and other boards indicated that they had the Spectrum 2-8-0 engine and it was powered by a 5 pole motor, while others indicate the presence of a 3 pole motor - they are both right - two different production runs.

Question answered. There was a change in the production of this model.
Pacific Northern

Clear Block

A friend of mine recently bought a 2-8-0 with DCC on board and the engine make unusual sounds of grinding.  Sounds like impurities in the motor/belt drive system.

Could this be a simple defect or has the quality of the model gone down?

I have a few older DCC ready which now have decoders in them K4s and they run smooth as quite, not grinding sound at all.

I also have a old Bachmann 2-8-0 which had driver problems has has been out of service for several years.  I would like to restore it and have it up graded to DCC/sound.  Would Bachmann do this work or replace it for me, or is it cheaper to just buy a new one?  I can get a new one with out sound for $69.99.

Atlantic Central

Clear Block,

I think we all know that Bachmann has made a dud from time to time, but overall, if you get a good one, Spectrum locos are very good runners.

I have five 2-8-0's, three older ones and two that came with DCC. All run well and are quiet. I don't think we should confuse the ocasional defective loco with some dramatic shift in quality.

But if you have a piece that's not right, send it back! They send out new ones no problem.

Sheldon

Clear Block

My problem is that I parted the motor out 2 years ago when my 2-8-0 stopped  preforming to it's fullest extent. (it was having difficulties negotiating 22"R curves) I at the Time had DC and decided it was best to part the motor out and make it a dummy and keep it on display on the shop track.  I later converted to DCC and have been thinking about buying a DCC/Sound 2-8-0 and swapping out the shells so I can run my Baldwin Loco Works paint scheme  engine. I would Like to send it to Bachmann if possible and have it re built for a minimal charge, not exceeding the price I could buy a new one for.

It's a simple matter of swapping out the running gear.

Jim Banner

Quote from: Clear Block on February 27, 2008, 11:32:36 PM
It's a simple matter of swapping out the running gear.

Then why not switch shells with a new locomotive and have one working locomotive in the BLW colours you want and one dummy in the new colours that you can leave on the RIP track or weather down and set out on the dead line?  Two locomotives for the price of one!
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Clear Block

Jim,
That was my idea all along, However I was thinking that if the Bachmann can replace the motor assembly and install a DCC/Sound up grade for a reasonable price then I would send it in,  I does have a lifetime warranty am I right?

In the end I may just buy the new one and get it to work first before I do any shell/running gear swapping.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 26, 2008, 11:50:05 PM
Dear DR,
Have fun!
the Bach-man

After receiving the answer that the current 2-8-0 is powered by a 3 pole motor I searched for information.

It appears that a 3 pole motor can outperform a 5 pole motor depending upon a number of variables. So it is quite possible that this new 3 pole motor is indeed superior in its running characteristics to the older 5 pole motors.

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43689&whichpage=2

Pacific Northern