News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MTH HO Triplex

Started by chuff_n_puff, February 16, 2008, 06:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

Frisco,

20 scale miles per hour? I model a fast freight line in the the 1950's, trains where going a lot faster than 20 mph. In fact, except for long coal drags, all railroading in North America since 1900 has been done at speeds well above 20 mph. Huge layout? What's huge in your mind? Mine will have 13 scale miles of double track mainline when complete - but I know lots of people with layouts this size. Why have a GS4 on a 4x8?

If you are just buying these trains to "collect" them, I guess it does not matter voltage or control system they use or even if they run at all for that matter.

Most modelers who actually run their trains, and especially those with large layouts, want one consisant, intergraded control system, not a hodge podge of power packs and "add on" controllers jury rigged to run this loco and that loco.

I will concede that the GS4 is not as over produced as the PRR K4 or as obscure as the Triplex, but as I have said in other posts, the big West Coast steam thing is over staturated in general. Remember, there where only about 650 Northerns of all designs in all of North American railroading. how about more of the locos of which there where thousands or tens of thousands, 2-8-2's, 2-8-0's, 4-6-2's, 4-6-0's, etc.

I still run DC, and plan to for ever (not withstanding the developement of something better than DCC). Other manufacturers see the market and realize DCC is important, but not taking over by a long shot, they have ajusted their marketing acordingly - not MTH, they still think people will buy a speacial control system to run two locos, they do not understand HO modelers.

I apply 13.5 volts to the track on my layout, just enough above 12 volts to allow for pickup losses and a directional lighting circuit boards in the locos, leaving 12 volts max to the motor. I use the Aristo Craft Train Enginer wireless throttle and regulated power supplies that supply this voltage. All my trains run fine. I'm not buying one that needs 16 volts or adding any special controllers.

Sheldon

Jim2903

On top of that they are painting it for GS-6 ( WP SP ) GS-4 (SP daylight in a couple different lettering versions + warbaby black + BNSF ) . I know most  of you are going to wonder why they did BNSF , well I do not know how well it will sell but  I will probly buy one . [/quote]

I seem to recall the 4449 was painted black with the BNSF logo for a series of excursions on the BNSF a while back ...
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

Frisco

In 2001 I think it was  ??? .  As for the 20 MPH I was refering to the Triplex , which I belive only went about 10 MPH . Frisco

Hoople

July 6, 2000.

I believe I was 5.

PFM office, Edmonds Beach Washington.

4449 painted black, in BNSF colors speeds by at 50 MPH hauling a BNSF ES44/AC4400W/C44-9W type diesel.

I have it on video still.

-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

RAM

I got to see the 4449 pulling the freedom train on one of the few lines that the Santa Fe let the 4449 pull the train with out a diesel on it.  It was about 3am, but it was worth the loss of sleep.