News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

B&M/Maine Central Flying Yankee

Started by Jim Collins, February 22, 2007, 10:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Collins

I would like to know if anyone else beside myself knows anything about the Flying Yankee which is currently undergoing. a complete restoraton.
For those that don't know, it is the second of only 3, three car streamlined
trains that was built by the Budd Co. of PA. It was operated jointly by the Boston & Maine and Maine Central railroads from 1935 to 1957. When the restoration project is complete It will be the only one of it's kind that will have been restored and returned back to service for all rail fans and tourist to enjoy. I would also like to know if Bachmann would consider producing this rare piece of American rail history in H.O. scale for all to enjoy and possibly operate on home layouts. The restored prototype will be operated in the Northern part of New England (New Hampshire) hopefully by late 2009. I would urge anyone who is interested in more information about this train and possibly help in the restoration effort to please visit their website: www.flyingyankee.com. Thanks
Jim Collins
Warwick, Rhode Island

Rich R

Hi Jim,

You might check Con-Cor as they are marketing the Burlington Pioneer Zephyr in "N" and "HO"
Walther's part number is 223-8722.

Mostly harmless,
Rich R

Atlantic Central

Jim,

As noted by Rich, ConCor recently made a model of the Pioneer Zephyr. While the two trains are not identical, the did share quite a bit in the way of structure, running gear and over all design.

If any model company could be prompted it would be ConCor since all they would have to do is make three sighly dofferent bodies from what they have now and install the same running gear, trucks, etc.

If you want a close version, you could buy the ConCor Pioneer and the extra 4th car. Then replace the Pioneer's orignal center car with the later 4th car. This will yield a train very close to the Yankee with only a few windows and doors not quite matching exactly. Concor did offer their Zephyr unlettered, and the 4th car is unlettered, so all you would then need are some decals for the Yankee.

Sheldon

Dr EMD

If you look at front of the Pioneer Zephyr, the window line is not straight across, but bends downward a bit giving it a "mean" look. The B&M/MEC version, it's front window is straight across.

Calling the Pioneer Zephyr the Flying Yankee by just printing the name on the letterboard doesn't make it the Flying Yankee.
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Atlantic Central

Dr. EMD,

No one said, or even implied, that just "printing the name on the letterboard" would make a the Pioneer Zephyr into the Flying Yankee.

In fact, I thought I made it quite clear that it would not be exact or accurate, just close. And to even start to get close, you must perform the center car swap I discribed.

Even then the windows, both front and side are not correct, nor are the doors, especially those on the power car. But it would be very close otherwise and would have a good resemblance to the Yankee.

Did you actually read what I wrote, or just jump to some conclusion about what you half read?

Seems that if one writes more than two lines on a post, there are some who only read the first two lines and think they know what is said.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

I remember seeing one of those Budd units down at Edaville in Carver, Mass, some years ago; Blount had acquired it, after he took over the operation from the Atwood family.  I was surprised to see it there alongside the two-foot "mainline", and had to chuckle to myself as the the  incongruous '"menage" that was now there.

The last time I saw the Edaville collection, it was up in Portland, Maine; off of Commercial street-but I did not see the Budd unit.  I believe the one I was was the pioneer Zephyr-but I could be wrong.  It will however, be nice to see it back running.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

Rich,

That was the Flying Yankee you saw. It had been at Edaville since its retirement in 1957. I saw it there as a teenager in the early seventies.

As explained by the original poster, it is now being restored.

Sheldon

murfling

I got a set of Flying Yankee Decales from Highball Graphice (www.mgdecales.com)  and I am planning on making a "Looks almost like" the Flying Yankee with a Con-Cor pioneer zephyr set.

I did not realize there was a difference in the body styles, but I already ordered the set, and I cannot affoard the add-on car to just discard the other one. I guess we all live and learn.

Jonathan

Rich R

Quote from: murfling on February 24, 2007, 08:55:45 PM
I got a set of Flying Yankee Decales from Highball Graphice (www.mgdecales.com)  and I am planning on making a "Looks almost like" the Flying Yankee with a Con-Cor pioneer zephyr set.

I did not realize there was a difference in the body styles, but I already ordered the set, and I cannot affoard the add-on car to just discard the other one. I guess we all live and learn.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,
Never mind, I found them myself, thanks for the heads up!

Could you repost that URL as I cannot seem to get it to work? I'll try Googling it and see what I can find. But if you get the time it would be great to have it.

Cheers,
Rich R

pdlethbridge

When I was young and living in Melrose Mass, I saw it go by many a time.