News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rolling stock ?

Started by Oz26, February 13, 2008, 01:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz26

Hi, I'm a first generation "baby boomer" & electronically challenged so bear with me please. I'm new to the G-scale hobby,& had a few questions about rolling stock. First, do Aristo & Bachman cars look ok hooked together ? Just wondering cause the scales are different. Also, can the top of the stock cars be removed on the Bachman cars to make a trailing battery car, easily I hope ? One more thing I just purchased a "10 Wheeler" "Annie" D&RGW, what a beauty!!!! With no owners manuel, I was wondering how to take the tender & loco apart for future battery r/c install?  Thanks, many more questions comming later I'm sure.

Kevin Strong

Quote from: Oz26 on February 13, 2008, 01:18:24 PM
First, do Aristo & Bachman cars look ok hooked together ? Just wondering cause the scales are different.
In short, "no." Certainly the new "Spectrum" line of 1:20 rolling stock will dwarf anything Aristo has. The older 1:22 "Big Hauler" line may be a bit more visually compatible, but being models of wood cars, they would have been outlawed on mainline railroads by the early 1900s. If you're modeling a c. 1900 or earlier standard gauge line, then they can be used--but good luck finding appropriate standard gauge motive power to pull them.

Also, can the top of the stock cars be removed on the Bachman cars to make a trailing battery car, easily I hope ?
Yes. There are 8 tabs--four on each side--that hold the roof in place. Gently pull the sides outwards, and the roof should pop off.

One more thing I just purchased a "10 Wheeler" "Annie" D&RGW, what a beauty!!!! With no owners manuel, I was wondering how to take the tender & loco apart for future battery r/c install? 
The tender shell comes right off with the removal of just a few screws on the underside of the tender frame. The locomotive is a bit more difficult, but not bad, either. My general plan of action is to look for large screws near the frame and remove them. If it comes loose, you're golden. If not, keep looking for more screws.

Later,

K

zubi

Oz26, If you have the Ten-Wheeler, you can safely assume that most LGB, USA-Trains and Aristocraft rolling stock will go well with it. If you are fussy, you need to decide whether you want to stick with narrow gauge prototypes, but if you are not, you can mix almost whatever you like from these manufacturers, plus most of the Bachmann's rolling stock. All the older Bachmann is OK, the new Spectrum cars may be somewhat too large, but please remember that the charm of narrow gauge is also in the variety of sizes of the rolling stock. The most important thing is to please your own taste. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

Jon D. Miller

There is one correction that should be made to Kevin's response.

The roof on the Bachmann stock car is not held in place by the 8 tabs mentioned.  Big Hauler box cars have the tabs.

The roof and car sides are molded in one piece.  The above picture shows the interior of the stock car where the sides meet the roof.

Access to the interior is gained by removing the floor of the car.  The floor is held in place by small tabs along each side of the floor that fit into slots in the car's sides.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Kevin Strong

Whoops! :o Thanks, Jon! I should have known that, since the tabs would be visible through the slats. It's been a while since I had one apart.

Later,

K

Oz26

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. Wow what a great forum this is. Like I said,  I'm sure there will be more questions to come. Thanks again, Oz

Great Western

Ho Oz,

I have two Annies and a  around 18 items of Big Hauler (1:22.5) rolling stock.
I also have three Aristo locos plus 16 Aristo (1:29) items of stock.

I rarely run both makes at the same time.  One session of running is a Bachmann day and another an Aristo day.  However Aristo Centre Cab locos seem to be OK with the Big Hauler stock to my eyes.

You might consider  using the Big Hauler three bay hopper  for use as a trailing battery car as the coal load is easily removed..

Best wishes,    Alan

grumpy

I have a Roger 2-4-2 from Aristocraft,  a 0-4-0 from Aristocraft and a 0-4-0 from Bachman . If i put them all on the track at the same time you couldn't tell me which one was 1:20 or 1:29 wiwith out knowing the mfg.
Don

Phil Stump

You could not proove it by me but I have read that the aristo 2-4-2 measures a lot closer to 1.20th than 1.29th  I have seen photos of kit bashed  2-4-2 rogers that have been well weathered and looked like something I would be proud to have on my railroad. Now if I could just get it to run for any lenth of time with out having to clean the wheels....

az2rail

I choose to stay with 1:20.3 cars, but my friend runs aristo-craft cars with his Bachmann connie, and they look just fine. In real life cars were all sorts on sizes.  It all depends on how picky you want to be.  Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Oz26

Well sounds like I should be ok to interchange the rolling stock. As I said I'm just starting out so, my layout will not be that big to start. I plan to run the " Annie" & an Aristo Classic 2-8-0....but not at the same time. I'll probably go with track power to start, & battery power later. There will definitely be more ?s when I attempt that. So for now all I can do is wait out this Wisconsin winter....come on spring!!! Thanks again everybody, take care. Oz