ANYONE KNOW OF A BETTER SMOKER THAT ARISTOS I WANT ALOT OF SMOKE

Started by trea916, February 16, 2008, 11:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trea916

ANYONE KNOW OF A BETTER SMOKER THAT ARISTOS  I WANT ALOT OF SMOKE

I LIKE THERES BUT I SAW A MARKLIN VIDEO THAT HAD SO MUCH SMOKE COMING OUT OF IT ANY IDEAS

glennk28

Not the best idea.  Especially if you are running indoors.  Those smoke units work by heating and vaporizing oil.  It eventually has to settle out somewhere--on the carpet, furniture, drapes, the cat, your lungs--

A little better outdoors--it can blow to the neighbors'

Besides, none of them ever really look right. 

Tom Lapointe

QuoteNot the best idea.  Especially if you are running indoors.  Those smoke units work by heating and vaporizing oil.  It eventually has to settle out somewhere--on the carpet, furniture, drapes, the cat, your lungs--

For INDOOR operation, I'll second a lot of GlennK28's comments, especially if you have a family member with athsma! :o  (My girlfriend  :-* does, so I usually don't run smoke indoors). I remember back when I used to collect American Flyer "S" gauge @ 20 ~ 25 years ago; most AF steam locos had pretty good smoke units, & running 2 ~ 3 of them simultaneously would produce a pretty good layer of scale "smog" :o over the layout in short order! :D

QuoteA little better outdoors--it can blow to the neighbors'

Besides, none of them ever really look right. 

The first part of that statement, I'll agree with to some extent ;) - the second part, I beg to differ!  Here's a STOCK Bachmann smoke unit, running on DCC power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9m0LUCJ0g

- & for even MORE fun, here's the Bachmann 3-truck Shay again, this time double-heading with an Accucraft live-steam Shay! ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpbBhsy0ZCQ

;)    Tom

soleman10

I've been researching for the same thing, and I've come across this site:
http://www.tastudios.com/turbo_smoke.htm
This seems to really put out the smoke!  And it has a syncrhonization ("chuff &puff") that times the fan with the sound system.  It's around 70.00 and I'm going to order one for myself after seeing the video.
Mike

Dave

Try burning Incense cones in the smoke stack. You will have to replace the plastic stack with one made of Brass or copper and put a platform half way up the stack. They burn really well and if you get the right stuff you can take a trip without leaving the Garden Railway, I have fitted one to my Climax. Good thing is that when you stop to shunt, or whatever, the smoke just keeps on going.  A good cone will last about 20 minutes and you can have the Fragrance of your choice.
           Now to work out how to Tie-Dye my Climax.

Cheers
                      Dave in New Zealand

zubi

Trea916, Consider coal firing!! Live steam of course. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

Greg Elmassian

This is a fun thread, reading it is like dropping LSD!  ;D

Seriously, The TAS unit puts out a bunch of smoke and is well built, and used in a lot of high end locos. It can also be tied to a chuff switch to puff in synchronization with the pistons.

Another unit that puts out a lot of smoke is the MTH units, but their synchronization with the pistons comes from the MTH DCS decoder, so you will not quite get that effect if you do not go DCS.

Tom gets great smoke because he runs DCC (like I do) with constant track power of about 20 volts. That makes almost anything smoke!

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

ole

The best smoker that I have seen was a fan/piston driven O scale steam engine; I thought it was a Lionel but it could have been an MTH. I replaced the unit in my Bachmann engine with a n-o-s vintage Lionel replacement unit. It is now a better smoker but I still wouldn't call it a lot of smoke. I am still looking for a 'super smoker' fluid that I was told about but can't seem to locate. Since all of them are an oil based product, I really doubt that one of them smokes a whole lot more than another. But I will try almost anything once. Lee in Tucson
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada