News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

adding sound

Started by Zorch, February 17, 2008, 11:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zorch

Hello everyone,
   I'm new to railroading and wanting to use dcc.I just bought a bachmann dcc equipped gp35 and am wanting to add sound,is this a hard thing to do and what decoder does anyone recommend?
                      thanks for any help
                                       Eric Spencer

SteamGene

How are your soldering skills?  That's probaly the hardest part.  Most people will tell you that Taunami is the best sound decoder.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

For my comfort level,  I simply bypass the "useless block adapter" that comes underneath the jumper and remove both.  This said, it is easy to shag out the wires to thier respective locations, such as the headlamp, drivers, etc; just learn how to use a continuity tester, or a multimeter, and you shouldn't have trouble if you learn how to locate, isolate, and renovate. 

Diesels, to me, don't leave a lot of room for much in terms of decoder, speaker(s) etc, so  I am not too familiar with the techniques.  I do mostly steam on my layout, so the tender is an obvious advantage for hiding the hardware for sound and function.

Learning how to properly solder is a neccessity for this approach; so if you do not feel comfortable, do pick up an iron and develop some expertise,  it is a fairly straightforward proposition.  Keep in mind that simpler is always better when it comes to wiring.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!