News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27/Airwire question

Started by rslater, February 18, 2008, 06:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rslater

Has anyone attempted to control the front lights with the Airwire decoder?
I would like to be able to turn the lights on/off with the transmitter.  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Richard ???

Sawdust

Hi Richard,  I don't have K-27 but I just converted a Bach. 3 truck shay to AirWire.  I removed all the wiring from the board that came with it added a jumper and fed the board with the AirWire head light,  that way I kept the flickering fire box,  the headlight and the cab light controlled by Airwire. I hope this helped.  ( takes some small soldering)
Allen

the Bach-man

Dear Richard,
We hope to have Airwire installations, as well as other aftermarket installs, available very soon.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

rslater

Hello Bach-man,

Your response of 2/18 said very soon..have any idea what date? ??? ???  I am waiting to install my airwire.  I can proceed with installation but I would like to have control of lights with the transmitter.

Richard

"Trainman"

Richard, I recently installed an AirWire system in my Bachmann K-27. In my case, since I am running with a follow behind battery car, I chose not to use the smoke option. I used the smoke leads from the tender to the engine to control the bright LED I installed in the engine, in place of the dim one it came with.  That is an option you may or may not want to pursue. I simply rewired the LED to the old smoke leads and connected them to the headlight output of the AirWire board. Unless you are good at this type of stuff, you may want to wait for the Bachmann folks to publish their ideas on how to customize that unit. I have done a fair amount this type of work so it did not bother me. With the proper rewiring, you can control all lites and functions of the K-27 through the AirWire transmitter.

"Trainman"

jsmvmd

Dear Trainman,

Have you any thoughts how Airwire would do in a head to head competition with RCS or TE?  The reason I ask is I know where there is an Annie with Sierra sound board, RCS and a battery car for a good price used.  I recently bought a TE for use with an HO DC system.  I have no idea which would be considered the best one to use.  I know this is a vague question but I have to start somewhere.  Too, everyone has an opinion, as they say.

Best Wishes,

Jack

grumpy

I too have thought about which is the best . At this time I am contemplating using Aristocrafts TE with track power. I sure would some opinions before I make the purchase.
Don ???

jsmvmd

I believe Atlantic Central would be the TE expert on this board. Would suggest you read his thread on wireless control for HO in the General area.

Best Wishes,

Jack

jsmvmd

Sorry,

That topic is:  "radio control for HO" in the General category by Atlantic Central.  I think you will find it to be enlightening.

Best Wishes,

Jack

"Trainman"

Jack, Up to now I have used three types of radio control systems on my G scale garden railroad. The first was Locolinc, which had good range but the DC voltage their receiver put out would make my engines vibrate at low speed. I then tried AristoCraft TE 75mhz system. It cured the vibration problem but the radio range on that system was so bad it made it unusable. I desperation I tried the AirWire 900 system. The difference between it and the other two is like night and day. All my engines run smooth and quiet. The range on the AirWire is such I could sit in my easy chair in the house and operate the trains. I mean we are talking more then sixty feet. Since I am battery powered, I do NOT have to clean my tracks of anything more a few leaves. In my opinion, the 900 mhz system is the only way to go. It is my understanding that AristoCraft may be coming out with their version of a 900 mhz system but the AirWire version is already hear and it works great! I hope this long disertation answers you question.

By for now;
"Trainman"

jsmvmd

Dear Train,

I bought my Aristo 27MHz TE from Trainworld for $40-50 under list price. Atlantic Central uses this and I based my decision after talking to him. I believe with the newer version he does not have issues with control from a distance, inside of course. I may build a battery car to use on one of my LS engines to see how it works. Airwire seems to be a good unit. CVP comes recommended by several people whom I respect. The RCS seems to be a good unit, but I have no experience with it and cannot find (easily) an online installation procedure.

Tony Walsham,

If you read this could you please provide a link that explains installation?

Thank you and Best Wishes,

Jack

Tony Walsham

Jack.
There are downloadable pdf's for all installations at the RCS website.
I do make a lot of different things, not just a "one size fits all" R/C.

Once at the RCS website hover the cursor over the Large Scale button.  Then "On Board Batt"  Then RCS, Then click on BASIC or ELITE.  Then scroll down to the pdf links.

In the meantime I am just about to update the website for the new PnP-3 which has been designed specifically for the K-27.  Here is the URL for the instructions.  It is a big file.  http://www.rcs-rc.com/PDF/Battery_RC/RCS/Instructions/PnP_3_TX_24.pdf

Also the updated version of the ELITE instructions.  http://www.rcs-rc.com/PDF/Battery_RC/RCS/Instructions/ELITE.pdf
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

jsmvmd

Dear Tony,

Thank you for the prompt response. I am fairly computer illiterate, and therefore do not see things until they bump me in the nose!  Your advice is greatly appreciated. Will contact you if I cannot figure it out.

Best Wishes,

Jack