Finally, one possible solution to the #5 switch issue, using only EZ track

Started by steveeusd, February 19, 2008, 06:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveeusd

Hello Everyone--

Well, after much experimentation and a little math, I found one solution (using only EZ track) to an issue with the #5 switch and the proper radius on the diverging track so it runs parallel with the mainline, using the shortest track length from the switch.   The divergent angle of the #5 switch is 12 degrees.  If you use 2 short 33.25 radius 6 degree track sections (item #44508), you will have a 12 degree angle with minimum spacing between the mainline and the passing track.  Furthermore, if you add 3 2-1/4 sections on the mainline (after the switch), the ends of both tracks (the mainline and the passing siding) will be almost equal distant (only fractions of an inch differentiate them).  Finally, I found the parallel spacing between each track to be equal to that of #6 crossover, which I find to be appropriate. 

I would be remiss if I did not give credit to Yampa Bob.  His post on the mathematics regarding divergent angles help put everything together.  So... Thanks Bob. 

I also recognize there are other solutions to this issue.  So, if mine suggestion doesn't work, there are others that may. 

Finally, Mr. Bach-Man, I have broached this subject before.  But, I think it bears repeating.  I am sure many others would find it useful if sections of your #5 and #6 switches came with (a) a radius track piece of the proper angle (coming from the diverging track section) and (b) mainline track extension so that both lined up parallel shortly and equal distant after the switch.  So, again, I implore you to talk to management or engineering about such track sections.  In my humble opinion, this would would be icing on the cake.

Sincerely,

Steve Williams

Terry Toenges

Good job.
I've been going to try to figure this out because I know I've done it before.
I went looking for my #5 switches and I can't find them. When I took down the old layout, I packed them away somewhere. I really need to search around again.
Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

LOL....I have stuff like that all over the house Terry.....and what you are looking for, always, seems to be in the last place you look ;)

Sid

Yampa Bob

Steve:
You are most welcome, and Thank you for the kind credit.  As I was reading the first paragraph I thought "hmm, haven't I read this someplace"  LOL.

Your post is an encouragement to me to continue helping others whenever I can.

"Yampa" means "Bear" in Ute Indian.  I sign either way depending on my mood at the time.

Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.