News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

UP 0-6-0 shell

Started by ZOG, February 20, 2008, 11:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZOG

Hi all -- my first post but i have been snooping for a while.

my little girl dropped my DCC Union Pacific 0-6-0. everything still works but it cracked the shell

I am looking for a new one

any suggestions

TonyD

This the first time something hit the floor? Guess what! It won't be the last.... I had a $300 job take out a harbor scene and a voltmeter before it found bottom. If you have the screwdrivers to remove the shell, agh, everyone has a favorite glue, but add the glue to the inside of the shell, so it doesn't show. as you develop skills in 'modelling' you will find lots of tricks to- camoflage' these accidents, if you can't pull it off, you'll have to ask the part dept. I guess....just give glue a try 1st- good luck, take it out of your little engineer's pay check....:)   
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Yampa Bob

Zog
The shell is made of a styrene type material.  If it's just cracked, it can be easily fixed. Go to a hobby shop and get a bottle of Testors #8872 liquid cement for plastic models.  It is very thin, has a precision needle applicator.  Don't use the old tube glue, it is too messy and hard to wick into tight places.

Gently spread the crack open a bit and apply a thin bead of cement, then press and hold the parts together for about 30 seconds.  Have a tissue handy to wipe off excess cement the moment you apply pressure.  Don't let the cement run or it will mar any plastic it touches.

Good luck
Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

TonyD

I was going to tell him that bob...but I didn't know how to spell '8872'........and dad can/might find it at wally world or home depot....we got to keep costs down, I hear the brass hats are taking it out of the little engineer's wages....we got to get her in the union....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

RAM

Re: UP 0-6-0 shell
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:52:56 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would use the liquid plactic cement.  Like it has been said it is very thin, like water.  So be very careful with it.  I would just put it on the inside the shell.  I think it will just pull into the crack.