News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new to bachmann have a ?

Started by Amber, February 21, 2008, 03:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber

hello i was given 2 bachmann trains and they are both the same model "ho" niagara 484 however they both have different NYC #'s.. does every train have a different #

Yampa Bob

Hi Amber

Full scale trains, the real ones that we model after, all have different numbers within each company.  It is referred to as their "roster".

Railroads have "road names", In your case New York Central.  To identify  and keep track of all the various equipment owned by each railroad company, they are assigned  "road numbers".

Are the numbers in the series 6009, 6014, 6016 or 6020?  Look on the bottom, is "DCC ON BOARD", printed on the frame? 

You are fortunate to have received the Niagara 4-8-4, they are very popular among railroad modelers.  Bachmann locomotives are very good quality.  Congratulations.

I am curious, are they new in the box? If so I would have to add:  Wow, someone must like you a lot.

Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Amber,
To augment what Bob said, all of the cars have a number as welll.  In most cases it will be on the left hand side as you look at the car, under some initials which normally come from the railroad name.  These numbers, like the locomotive's cab number tell those who know the code what kind of car it is. 
If your NYC 4-8-4s are  new ones, you do have some nice locomotives.  Unfortunately, if they are several years old, they are likely poor quality.   About 15 or so years ago Bachmann went from producing poor quality models to excellent quality. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Gene

The Niagara is listed in the standard line.  Was this model ever a Spectrum?  I read somewhere that Bachmann was moving some of their Spectrums into the standard section. I think the only difference is better detailing, or perhaps being more selective in their sound models.

Recently I (we)have been admiring their USRA 0-6-0 DC model which sells for about $50.  Then I see they offer the same model with DCC on board with EZ Command as a combo.  I can buy that one for $120.   My wife encouraged me to get one, but I already  have 2 EZ Commands.  She said, so what now you can have a third one for only $70.   It's like "Guess what I just saved $400 on some new clothes", makes me nervous LOL..  Other than detail do you think the standard 0-6-0 would be a good value?  It's mainly to satisfy my wife who thinks locos should be in "pretty" colors.

Bob

RAM

Well look at it this was.  If the DC loco. is DCC ready, than you can buy one for $50. and a decoder for $20, and save $50.  On the other hand you could buy 2 0-6-0s  and 2 decoders for $140.  One brite colored one for your wife, and one for you. What ever color you want.

WoundedBear

When I got my EZC set-up, I got it in the combo with the 0-6-0. Although a standard line model, it ran really well.....just had no pulling power for the grades on my layout. I since swapped it off to a friend.

That being said.....it did not get swapped out because it performed poorly. I had ZERO derailment problems and it had very good electrical pick-up for a small loco. It was smooth and quiet, but lacking in the detail department.

With the DCC On Board version, they stuffed the cab full of decoder, so forget adding a crew. I put Krystal Klear windows in the cab and it looked fine. If Bachmann would have offered, or included, a set of traction tires for it, it would probably still be on my layout.

Sid

Yampa Bob

Sid
Glad to know about the decoder, I just thought they put it in the tender like the Spectrum line.  Well, I think I will pass on the combo.

I have some extra small circuit boards from Bachmann GE 70 ton.  I hope to DCC my wife's DC Roaring Ridge if the stall currents are compatible.

Did you by any chance measure the stall current of your 0-6-0?  If it's low, which I suspect it is, I might consider buying the standard version and putting the decoder in the tender.  I have tiny plugs from Micro Mark that would make an easy install.

The standard is not DCC ready, but I'm sure the pick up and motor wires can be isolated.

Kinda taking Amber's thread off topic, but thanks for the info. I may start another thread about this.

Bob

Guilford Guy

If the the model has "DCC Onboard" or something similar printed on the bottom it is good quality.
If the model does not it is a poor running model made several years ago.
Only recently did Bachmann Industries redo the model to todays standards. If you are happy with the locomotives, then they are worth every penny.
Alex

WoundedBear

Bob...

No...never did check draw on it.....I'm an electrical idiot......if I ever figure out how to use a multi-meter I'll be laughing. I rely on the old method of tagging wires and trusting my work....lol. Being a gear head, I have a basic understanding of DC electrical and understand the principles....just never got that far into it.

Like we did when I rode cycles......if you kept blowin fuses and couldn't find the problem, we'd short the fuse with a wad of foil, and wait for the meltdown ;D Crude, yes, but effective.

Sid

az2rail

Amber, unless I am reading the post wrong. no one has answered your question. Bachmann probably made 2 or 3  different numbers of your engines. Your were lucky to get different numbers, but they did not make every engine a differet number.   Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Amber

Thank you to all that replied!! I have checked out the trains and don't see the DCC stamped anywhere on the bottoms..darn! They are both in boxes and appear new! I just have no idea how old they are!
thanks
amber

Guilford Guy

What color are the boxes? Are they blue, or are they white?
Alex

Yampa Bob

Amber
Don't be too disappointed. Even without the DCC, they are very nice locomotives. I guess you have a DC power pack.  I would run and enjoy them.

Please tell us the road numbers, we might be able to find out when they were made.

Bob

RAM

Amber does the boxes have a product number?  Does it say anything like Bachmann plus?