News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Track Turnout Parallel question

Started by TrainHo, February 28, 2008, 01:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainHo

Hello,

My question is what pieces are needed for a turnout to make a parallel siding.

i.e. I know that a regular turnout and full 18" radius creates a parallel track.

I believe a #6 turnout with a 1/3 18" radius makes a parallel track.

What is actually required for each of these?

a #5 turnout and a ? (this is the one I am having a problem with.)

a #6 turnout and a ?

I am tired of buying pieces and experimenting.

I would also like to know if there is a E-Z track database or software program that would allow me to design a layout on the PC with E-Z track components.  Atlas has a great one for their track, but it is not the same as E-Z Track.

Thanks,
Train-HO

hgcHO

try a 'search'  which I always forget to do myself  but will try harder in future.

HGC

Yampa Bob

Ho
The angle of divergence of the #5 turnout is 12 degrees.  There are 12 degree sections that will return to parallel.  (33.25" radius)

I have a listing somewhere of the #6 angle, will try to find it.

I suggest getting a copy of the new EZ track layout book.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Redtail67

Bob:

I have looked every where for this book. I have a hard time trying to know what I need I simply cannot comprehend the curveture stuff.

A book like that showing me in black and white would be a great asset.

I have read other places about this book but nobody knows where to get it.

Redtail67

Yampa Bob

Bachmann has been promising the book for a year or more.  I haven't found a source for it either.

Bob

Jake

Quote from: Yampa Bob on February 28, 2008, 06:50:13 PM
Ho
The angle of divergence of the #5 turnout is 12 degrees.  There are 12 degree sections that will return to parallel.  (33.25" radius)

I have a listing somewhere of the #6 angle, will try to find it.

I suggest getting a copy of the new EZ track layout book.

Bob

A #6 turnout has a diverging angle of 9.46 degrees.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Yampa Bob

Thanks Jake
That  sounds about right, I know the Atlas #6 is 9 degrees 30 minutes.

No exact matching piece for this, either use a piece of flex or cut a curved section to get the right return.  A 1/3-18  as mentioned would be pretty close, within 1/2 degree.

Bob

steveeusd

Below is a copy of a post I placed previously.  See if it helps.

Steve

Hello Everyone--

Well, after much experimentation and a little math, I found one solution (using only EZ track) to an issue with the #5 switch and the proper radius on the diverging track so it runs parallel with the mainline, using the shortest track length from the switch.   The divergent angle of the #5 switch is 12 degrees.  If you use 2 short 33.25 radius 6 degree track sections (item #44508), you will have a 12 degree angle with minimum spacing between the mainline and the passing track.  Furthermore, if you add 3 2-1/4 sections on the mainline (after the switch), the ends of both tracks (the mainline and the passing siding) will be almost equal distant (only fractions of an inch differentiate them).  Finally, I found the parallel spacing between each track to be equal to that of #6 crossover, which I find to be appropriate. 

I would be remiss if I did not give credit to Yampa Bob.  His post on the mathematics regarding divergent angles help put everything together.  So... Thanks Bob. 

I also recognize there are other solutions to this issue.  So, if mine suggestion doesn't work, there are others that may. 

Finally, Mr. Bach-Man, I have broached this subject before.  But, I think it bears repeating.  I am sure many others would find it useful if sections of your #5 and #6 switches came with (a) a radius track piece of the proper angle (coming from the diverging track section) and (b) mainline track extension so that both lined up parallel shortly and equal distant after the switch.  So, again, I implore you to talk to management or engineering about such track sections.  In my humble opinion, this would would be icing on the cake.

Sincerely,

Steve Williams

Yampa Bob

I have always had a problem about the turnout angles.  I may be wrong, but whoever designs these things either has no idea about geometry or just hasn't taken time to work it out.  It's like "well, this looks about right". 

I think Bachmann should at least make a  18"   12 degree piece for the #5, using the 33.25" makes the parallel much too wide.

We're stuck with the turnout angles, they can't afford a total re-tool, but a few special pieces would be nice.

Bob

steveeusd

Bob--

Just a suggestion.  Place two small 33.25 sections (4 sections come in a bubble package [item #44508]), not 2 larger sections on the diverging angle.  I found the distance of the parallel tracks to be the same as the gap between the parallel tracks on Bachmann's #6 crossover switch.  I think you'll find the distance suitable.  Let me know.

Steve

Yampa Bob

Steve
Probably works ok, I don't have the pieces, just working out the geometry for Trainho.  My turnouts are Atlas.

Bob

TrainHo

Thanks for all of the replies.
I found the two small 1/2 33.25" radius #44508 worked great with the #5 turnout.  I used 1 piece of 1/2 33.25" a 9" straight and then another 1/2 33.25" which made it just wide enough for a passenger platform atlas #707. 

So here is what I have learned.

to get Parallel with Bachmann HO e-z track
Regular Turnout use 1 18" radius
#5 Turnout use 1 full piece or 2, 1/2 pieces of 33.25" radius #44508.
#6 Turnout  use 1/3 18" radius.

As far as angles I don't have a clue what they are.  I only care about what actually worked.

I hope this helps,
TrainHO

Yampa Bob

TrainHo
Glad you got it worked out, and as you say if it works the angles don't matter. It's when something doesn't work out that the angles help figure it out. 

Bob

Jhanecker2

I asked  Bachmann about  E-Z Track Planing and Layout  and was told that it will not be in the marketplace until late June /early July , 2008 . I have had a copy on order since before  Thanksgiving 2007 . I saw that the book was supposed to exist since the hobby show in  Rosemont . I was going to ask Bachmann ; Why they did not have a track planning Book like the ones that Atlas  Publishes .  I have several of their books and they are well written  and quite informative.