News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Consolidation Decoder fitting.

Started by Stevelewis, March 04, 2008, 11:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevelewis

Can  any one  give  me  any relevant  info on fitting  a  decoder  to  a  Consolidation?

Is  it  easy  or  difficult?

I am  referring  to  the  latest model

Thanks
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Greg Elmassian

A friend and I will be doing one soon. I did my annie with a NCE decoder a while back, more effort to open it up. I did disconnect all wires from the boards, rather than try to figure out if there were any sneak paths.

What decoder are you going to use?

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Stevelewis

Hi  Greg

probably  use  a  Massoth e Motion,  or  may  use  an ESU LOKSOUND XL

My supplier over  here in  the  UK www.dragon-gscale.co.uk  checked out  a connie for me  today  and  he  reckons its not  a difficult  job to  do , rather  like  the  Shay  screw connectors on a PCB  within the boiler,

I am  not  sure  about  this  but   I ave  heard  that  there  are 2 distinct  versions of  the  connie still sitting on retailers shelves: the original version difficult  to fit  decoder and  the  revised  version easy to do, have  you  any info  on  this?

regards  Steve

Greg Elmassian

No, I do know the later ones have the screw terminals that make it a lot easier, and are advertised as "DCC ready" or something similar.

Have you bought the loco yet?

Regards, Greg

Stevelewis

Not  bought  it  yet still considering it,  depends  what  sort  of  a  deal  I get  offered ;)

I had  one  years  ago  when  they  first  came  out, nice  loco  sold  it  off  when  I  went  through  a  SWISS  G scale  phase!

If  I do  go  ahead  it  will be  hot  on  the  heels of  a Shay Heisler & K27.

Not  had  much  success  posting pics on  here,  but  some  of  them  appear on www.gscalemad.co.uk  forum

Regards
Steve

Greg Elmassian

I would go ahead without fear. Get one that has the DCC ready on the box, and the instruction book shows the wiring layout and how to fit a Digitrax decoder.

With the screw terminals and the Bachmann-supplied wiring diagram it should be a snap.

Regards, Greg

Stevelewis

Yes  just  had  a  rather  good  price  offered  for  a  brand new  latest  series Connie  from  my  usual  supplier,  Dragon G Scale  here in  the  UK so  I will go  ahead and  place  the  order.

He will ship it  to  me  Wednesday so  i should n get it  Thursday morning

I'll let  you  know  how  the  decoder  fitting  goes
Steve