News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

scale help

Started by bob kaplan, March 04, 2008, 07:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

hummmm...hope this works.

i have been running Annie and Connie; and have just purchased a K.  i have been using 1/24 scale automobiles with the first two engines.
While the 1/18 scale, my wife feels are much to big

Neither of us have seen narrow gauge in action and are not really able to make a valid comparison.  The green sedan is 1/24 scale and the convertible is 1/18.
Any feeling on the matter that might help me make a decison as to which autos to use.   Thanks.

az2rail

Hummmm, what to do, what to do. Your engines would be 1:20.3, so the the 1/18 would be closer. But the man standing next to the 1/18 looks to short, much better with the 1/24th scale car.

Narrow gauge engines were smaller  than standard gauge, and you could use the larger car, but in my opinion, I think your wife is right. The scale difference betwee the engines and the cars, is not as noticable as the perspective between the man and the car.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

jpipkin

Also to put things in perspective, what scale is the figure?  If he is 1:22.5 as most large scale figures are, then he is short in 1:20.3 and really short in 1:18.

I have used 1:24 scale cars with 1:22.5 trains with good results.  For my 1:20.3 trains they are much too small.

Jim

Tom Lapointe

I'll agree that "theoretically" ;), the 1:18th scale cars are closer to 1:20.3 than 1:24th scale models.  HOWEVER, one time when I was buying 1:24th scale cars off eBay, a dealer mistakenly :P shipped me a 1:18th scale car (a 1948 Chevy station wagon) in place of the 1:24th car I actually ordered.  The 1:18th scale auto was nearly as big as my Bachmann 1:20.3 Climax! :o  This wasn't a "big money" deal - only $10 for the car itself, if I remembered correctly - & rather than go through the hassle of shipping it back, I bought a 2nd car (1:24th) from the dealer (who at least shipped it for free to make up for their error) :), & gave the 1:18th car to my girlfriend's :-* father, who collects die-cast model cars as a Christmas present! :D  Although a bit under-scale, the 1:24th scale cars make the 3-ft narrow-gauge trains look more massive ;D; my only personal experience with real 3-foot gauge was a visit to the East Broad Top maybe something like 20 years ago (& the 3-foot gauge EBT "mikes" didn't exactly strike me as "dainty" - they were pretty hefty-sized locos!). :)

2-foot narrow gauge locos are another story entirely!  Last summer I happened to visit the Wiscassett, Waterville, & Farmington Railway museum in Maine; their #10 Forney (shown below) isn't much longer than my Chrysler minivan! :o

For a bit more comparison, here I am checking out #10's cab (I'm a little guy at 5'6" ::)....)

- & here's using my height as a scale reference against a modern standard-gauge loco :o - the GE U23B that powered Conway Scenic RR's "Notch Train" that I rode earlier that same week! ;D

- Speaking for my own preference, even though the scale numbers are "wrong" >:( to me the 1:24th scale autos look more "right" :D next to Bachmann's 1:20.3 models (3-foot gauge). ;)                        Tom

Bruce Chandler

Go with the 1/18 vehicles.

No theory,  ;D here's a comparison of sizes:

Left to right - A 1:19 Ford Pickup, a 1:20 person, a 1:20 Ford, a 1:22.5 person, and a 1:24 vechicle.

And here's what a 1:20 person looks like next to a 1:24 vehicle.

Some of those Bachmann NG engines were tiny in real life, not massive at all.  The EBT Mike would be pretty large compared to a Connie.
Bruce

Loco Bill Canelos

My vote goes to 1/24 scale.  I feel it looks better than the 1/18 vehicles.    I bought a 1/18 Chevy and it looked huge next to my trains.   Most visitors remarked that it looked out of place with my trains.   Also I feel much more is available in 1/24th.

This is just my opinion, and what works for one often doesn't for another. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

Hello again...and thanks for replying!! But still weighing my own thoughts.   Obviously i have too much time on my hands....here a bit more to look at.

The Convertible is again 1:18, the railcar is Bachmann's 1:20.3, and the truck is 1:24.

The people on the left are 1:20.3, while those on the right are 1:22.5....at least that is what the advertisments for each say.

To me the 1/24 seems a bit small....especially when the scale people are added.  But then of course....there is the problem of the structures...but they don't seem to bother me as much.
   Thanks for the input.
bob

altterrain

I'd stick with the 1:24 cars because of your buildings. They look like they are mostly compressed 1:22.5 and 1:24 scale. 1:18 cars would make them look a bit like kid's play houses.

-Brian
President of

Loco Bill Canelos

Gotta agree with Brian on this one.   There is at present very little available in 1:20.3 and what is is very expensive.   If you have a lot of buildings in 1:22.5 or 1:24, stick with the 1:24 vehicles.   

The bottom line and most important thing is how does it look to you!!!

I feel one of the worst mistakes we make is to get to close and see all the flaws.  Look at your layout from normal viewing distance, generally this is about 6 to 10 feet.  If the scene is pleasing let it be.   I have actually used smaller scale vehicles in the far background of a scene which is not to close to the tracks, giving the impression of greater distance.   

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

John B

One of the tricks the smaller scale modelers use is to place undersized building, people etc in the background to give the illusion that the scene is further in the distance then it truly is.  Why can't it work for us?   But the more important things are, does it look right and are you having fun! ;D

altterrain

Quote from: John B on March 06, 2008, 03:10:59 PM
One of the tricks the smaller scale modelers use is to place undersized building, people etc in the background to give the illusion that the scene is further in the distance then it truly is.  Why can't it work for us?   But the more important things are, does it look right and are you having fun! ;D

I think this can work with indoor layouts but outdoor most layouts are not viewed from one particular vantage point. My layout is set up to be view from 3 different locations and frequently more that that as you follow trains through the garden. Then again, I'll all about the fun  :D.

-Brian
President of

bob kaplan

Thanks for your input all...it is appreciated.
b

jimtyp

First of all, always go with the wife, makes the hobby (and other things) better for both ;D

Second, I agree with the wife because the bigger cars make the locos look small.  I'd rather have the cars look too small than the locos.

People are a different thing.  You can find 4ft people and 8ft people in any scale  :D  So someone that is 6' in 1:24 is only 5' in 1:20.   Most 1:20 scale items represent the time period of late 1800's or early to mid 1900's, people were not as tall back then.

BTW, nice layout and nice pics.  What do you use to photograph?  Any tricks you can pass along?

bob kaplan

Thanks for the + comments jimtyp.  There is nothing special there.  The pics were taken with a Kodak EasyShare cx6330 that i really don't know how to work except that the flash was shut off and the over head floursecent lights were on.  The first two were taken at the "close-up" setting.  The layout is in the basement so i can get at it all year long.
Again, Thanks.
bob