News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N TURNOUTS

Started by BUDDYBOY, March 06, 2008, 06:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BUDDYBOY

HAVING TROUBLE WITH TURNOUTS HAS ANYBODY ELSE .BACHMANN EZTRACK DERAILS, POINTS SHORTING OUT ETC

joe935

Haven't had problem with shorting out but have seen where the contact strip that switches the track power will not make contact and then train will not run thru the turnout.

ftauss

You will need to remove the screws on the baseplate and carefully lift it off. If you look at it a bit you will figure out how it works.

1) On a percentage of mine the contacts (the X shaped thing) did not route power correctly beciase they were 90 degrees out of alignment. You have to adjust the round gear as to how it meshed with the contact bar and the throw bar. It takes some time but you'll figure it out.

2) The wire that throws the point is, ahem, flimsy to say the least. I carefully bent mine and adjusted it until it worked well on both sides.

3) 2) is also a function of 1) in that if the gears aren't set just right the whole thing doesn't work.

I've considered replacing the throw wire with something sturdier like a heavier brass wire from the LHS but I've got mine working for now so am letting sleeping dogs lie.

Also a judicious bit of filing on the outside of the points, the sides that contact the rails seems to help. finish up with a light filing of the inside to clear any burrs you've left behind.

I know PITA for a $20 item that ought to work out of the box. Such is quality these days.

Frank