News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

my 4x10 is now DCC......NCE Powercab

Started by James Hail, February 25, 2007, 12:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Hail

I just installed a NCE Powercab and im very happy with it...1 amp system for my small 4x10 is perfect...Programming on the main even while the loco is running ...sweet.

Power can be upgraded to this system up to 3 amps i belive....I got the powercab and four  NCE d13 series(4 lighting function/Effects) decoders all for $200.

Only drawback is it only retains 2 engine addresses at a time....but for my small layout its not a problem.

I installed decoders in;;;;

Bachmann Spectrum K4: nmra plug to j plug on decoder

Bachmann Standard UP 4-8-4: hardwired loco to j plug removed smoke unit

Bachmann Plus F a unit:(and added flywheels) hardwired to j plug

ModelPower Metaltrain F a unit:  j plug dcc ready loco, plug in decoder and wired lighting effects ect.

So far the system runs everthing fine and im very happy with it....and glad i can program CV's ect.

Great System....The powercab itself can be had for around $120....with its 1 amp switching power supply.

Jim Hail
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

hotrainlover

James,
The "Standard" 4-8-4..  Was that the Bachmann unit?  Did you have to isolate the motor, or is that not needed?  How did you put it on a J plug..?  By the way..  WHAT is a J plug?

Do you have pictures?
Thanks in advance!

Lee
hotrainlover@charter.net

James Hail

Yes the 4-8-4 was a standard Bachmann unit....the place where the smoke unit is makes a great shelf for the decoder....yes i had to isolate the motor...i cheated by shimming in between the motor lead and the frame with thin plastic..to keep from having to split the loco apart as the piston housings are glued to the frame...taking them off breaks the mounting pins on them,and you can easily wreck things here.

JST-plug (9-pin) at decoder

I can get pics if needed (next time i service the loco though as its together)

If you need them for a install i will take them for you.

Just sit the decoder up front after removing the smoke unit...add a light bulb for headlight and wire to the left and right solder lugs on the rear of chassis for decoder power. The J plug is a flat 9 pin connector that came on my decoders factory from NCE. The decoders are hardwired via J plug harness for easy removal.

Piece of cake to install with the d13 series decoder.
Here is a J connector example(not a NCE decoder):

Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

FFJOHNL312

Jim:
Congrats on coming to the NCE side of the house!
John Loesch
DGLE? We don't need no stinkin' DGLE!