News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann tender/PECO Turnout "Problem"

Started by mechengr, March 25, 2008, 04:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechengr

Have encountered a "situation" on my HO layout.

First, I'm using PECO Insulfrog turnouts, medium and large radius as well as curved.

Second, I just purchased a Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain (HM) with DCC and sound, painted, unlettered - Bachmann item #84201.

The "situation":

In running the HM, I've found that the centerline dimension between the 2 wheels of each of the tender trucks coincides with the distance between the isolation sections (at the frog) of the PECO medium radius turnouts.

When the HM and tender are moving at low speed and/or moving in a certain direction, the rear truck of the tender loses electrical signal from the track, and the HM and tender stop, as both wheels of the truck are on the isolation sections at the same time. If the speed is fast enough, momentum will carry the HM & tender past the isolation sections, but this is not the solution at all times/places on my layout.

Have ruled out replacing the PECO turnouts, as this is too expensive for me. Also thought of replacing the tender trucks with trucks with a different wheel spacing, but don't have a clue as to what that might be. Also, of course the existing truck wheels/axles are metal for electrical pickup.

Wondering if others might have encountered the same situation and what might be a solution. Hopefully, my description of what is happening isn't totally confusing.
Richard

Atlantic Central

Check the ajustment of the wipers on the back of the locos drivers to make sure they are all touching. The loco should be picking up power from both the drive wheels and tender wheels and should not stall in the situation you discribe.

Sheldon

SteveJ

Follow Sheldon's pointer it should bring you to the problem area.  I had a similar situation with a dcc/sound spectrum consolidation and Jim Banner told me to check whether the tender was picking up power.

If you search for  Jan 02, 2008 post "Spectrum w/Sound 2-8-0 stalls at Insulfrog" in general dicussion you will get great advice from Jim how to proceed.