U.S. Army 60cm Gauge Railway locos and rolling stock

Started by Franck Tavernier, March 30, 2008, 11:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

Franck

I think you have misunderstood curtor 49's message. I read his message to mean that 3 Baldwin 4-6-0ts came to Australia, of which one survives. I don't think he meant that all 3 survive. As far as I know the situation is that only the Baldwin 4-6-0t at Dreamworld, unfortunately converted to a 4-6-0, survives.

Hamish

Franck Tavernier

Hamish,

Thanks for your answer!

To my Knowledge, the loco preserved in France from Austalia, is a Baldwin 2-6-2t n° 46 828, and named "Felin Hen" converted to an 0-6-2t during his long career...This loco is preserved at the Tacot des Lacs in France :

http://tacotdeslacs.free.fr/index.html

The project is to restore it, to an 2-6-2t!

About the 4-6-0t, I know only one model restored in England at the Leigthon Buzzard railway, this loco came from India and was named "Lion"...

According to a friend, there is also a project to restore the Baldwin 4-6-0t preserved at the Imperial War Museum. This loco came from India and was named "Tiger"....

Franck

Hamish K

The Baldwin 4-6-0t being restored for the Imperial War museum, at one stage named tiger, is at the Welsh Highland Railway (Porthmadog) See http://www.whr.co.uk/s/stock/794

Hamish

max (uk)

Id really like one of thoughs 4-6-0's. As the one in steam is not that far from me.

I think it would be a great model for Bachmann to make as it has a big market as they were alot of these all over the world. You could do them in many liveries even including red like 590 that was on the Welsh Highland Railway. Bachmann could easerly do the two differnt cab styles that were made. One with a coverd bunker and one without.

This would be a really good idea for Bachmann to make one as they have never made a tank engine before (the forney doesnt count as its doesnt have tanks. But a bigger bunker instaid).

curator49

Of the three Baldwin 4-6-0T's that came to Queensland for the sugar industry two, that had worked at Marian Mill, Mackay, were scrapped and the third lay derelict for many years at Racecourse Mill, Mackay before being purchased for preservation. It was subsequently rebuilt as a tender loco and works at a Gold Coast theme park.

The 2-6-2T Baldwin came to Fairymead Mill, Bundaberg from the Penrhyn Quarry, Wales where it had been named "Felin Hen" It was converted to an 0-6-2T about 1954 at Fairymead. The story is that the leading wheelset was used to convert a John Fowler 0-4-0T at the nearby Millaquin Mill into an 0-4-2T.

Curator49

Hamish K

The link I posted to the Baldwin 4-6-0t at the WHR(P) appears not to be working (it did when I posted it), the following worked for me a minute ago http://www2.whr.co.uk/s/stock/794

Personally I would be happy with any of the WW1 narrow gauge steam locomotives - I suggested the 2-6-2t as this version was the one chosen by the USA when she entered the war in 1917 and thus I thought this version would have more appeal to Americans and therefore the version Bachmann would be most likely to maket. As far as I know the Baldwin 4-6-0ts, although made in the USA, were not operated by the USA army or operated in America after the war. Living in Australia my freelance line would have bought any version as long as the price was right!

In fact the most common WW1 loco to come to Australia was the Hunslet version of the 4-6-0t, so this would be the most likely one for my line. However as this is very much a British outline locomotive I do not expect Bachmann to make it.

Hamish

max (uk)

So what is this 2-6-2t you speek of? Sounds interesting.

Hamish K

Max

It is the 2-6-2t already mentioned in earlier posts on this thread by myself, Franck, Royce, Tarheelrrds and Curator 49. They were originally built by ALCO for the British Army, later  Baldwin, Davenport  and Vulcan built very similar (though not necessrily identical) locos for the US army. The ones at Fort Benning and in the video mentioned by Royce are examples.

Hamish

Franck Tavernier

Hamish,

Thanks for sharing! I would be happy too with any of the WW1 narrow gauge steam loco and 2-6-2t would be a good choice for Bachmann...

I expect too Bachmann make a Baldwin 50 HP gas mechanical one day  ;) ;D ;D

max (uk)

Sorry Hamish, I wasnt paying attention. So basicly the engine has the same body as the 4-6-0 but is a 2-6-2 instaid.

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=369

So that means I should be easy to convert. Maybe using the Henry chassis like the 2-6-0 convertion.

Im happy with that. Ill have two then.  ;D

rayport

I agree that the WW1 engines would be a good choice - since they were widely distributed after the war. I always liked the Pechot-Bourdon as a smaller relative of the
Garratt - such as the Tazmanian K-1 (I always considered using a couple of the smooth running Porter 0-4-2s as the basis for a Garratt). Many of us would appreciate an approximation of any of these engines. It would interesting the see how well a universal "kit" loco would sell. The current 2-8-0 has enough spare parts packed in teh box to create some completely different looking engines - I know that drove me to have to have more than one. Spare parts to change the appearance or the availablity of alternate parts to purchase combined with rub-on lettering or decals nay just allow Bachmann to profitably enter the lower volume market for us small layout niche modellers.

Woody Elmore

Recently the BBC series "WW1" was rebroadcast on cable. One episode featured lots of pictures of the 60 cm gauge trians in action. Those trains got a lot of work - just feeding all the horses required trainloads of fodder.

A couple of those little engines would be a great addition to the Bachmann On30 Line.

Royce Wilson

I once saw a model of one of these engines at a train show and it was a very intresting size.
if Bachmann produces this prototype I hope they have the foresight to manufacture it where it can be narrowed to On20.

Royce Wilson

Spule 4

There were two sides to this too aferall.  I already have (Roco and Bemo) HF110C and HF130C models in H0e, not sure if the same have been made in Oe/On30 by any model makers?
Garrett

Nick_Burman

Henke in Germany makes a HF 110C in Oe/On30...not cheap, though!

Cheers NB