U.S. Army 60cm Gauge Railway locos and rolling stock

Started by Franck Tavernier, March 30, 2008, 11:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheelrrds

These were neat locomotives.Ther several that survived until the 50's here in the south.Some were used as logging locomotives and as construction locos. Here is a video of them working at Ft Benning GA where one is still on display.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BTtncKnS9k
Loco at Ft Benning
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=369

ALan Ashworth

JJM-0n30

Hello all,

In France, in 1954, at the Vis-en-Artois system (sugarbeet industrial railway located in the North of France) a 4-6-0T Baldwin was modified into a "modern" diesel locomotive by the workshops of Vis-en-Artois themselves.

Here is a photograph of the first modified Baldwin : (official document of 1954)
At the backscene, we can see two of the 30 Baldwin of the company.

I have modeled this locomotive in zero scale for my layout : (the photo was shooted on a friend's layout).

JJM

Franck Tavernier

Hi Guy's,

Good News!

Benchmark Publications has reprinted Rich Dunn's Narrow Gauge to No Man's Land (US Army 60cm Gauge Railways of the First World War in France - With notes on 60cm gauge US Army railways in the USA).

http://www.karensbooks.com/cgi-bin/shop/karenscart.cgi?func=buildProduct&product=908&back=javascript:history.go%28-1%29

Have fun,

Franck

Franck Tavernier

And...Some photos of Jacky's layout, Vis-en-Artois :

Enjoy!

Franck

Lemurien

renniks

A couple of points--
Notice that the loco on display at Ft.Benning was built by Davenport. Some were also built by ALCO. If you study the head-on pics of the models you can see slight differences.
The 'standard' loco was a 2-6-2T; the 4-6-0Ts were built to UK War Dept. specs. who preferred this wheel configuration for some reason.
Think that most of the locos used postwar in the States were ones that had not been shipped to Europe by the end of the war.
The 1940 video shows an Instructor with a class of trainee engineers; some of them may have ended up at the US Army Loco depot in South Wales UK where locos were prepared for service on the Continent after D-Day.

Eric UK

Hamish K

Quote from: renniks on October 28, 2009, 06:17:34 AM

The 'standard' loco was a 2-6-2T; the 4-6-0Ts were built to UK War Dept. specs. who preferred this wheel configuration for some reason.
Eric UK

As I understand it the Hunslett and Baldwin 4-6-0ts were made from 1916, before the 2-6-2ts were introduced. Baldwin got into the act as Hunslett couldn't produce enough locos quickly. ALCO then produced a batch of 2-6-2ts for the British and French, and, after the USA entered the war in 1917 the 2-6-2 design was adopted as the standard design for the USA army, but not for other combatants. The USA  had the advantage of being able to learn from the experience of the earlier designs made before the USA entered the war. 

The most common German design was the  0-8-0t Brigadelok.

Irrespective of the particular design these WW1 locos are fascinating and I would love to see Bachmann make one

The photos posted by Franck are wonderful and Jacky's modelling is superb!

Hamish

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: Hamish K on October 28, 2009, 09:22:53 AM
The photos posted by Franck are wonderful and Jacky's modelling is superb!

Hamish

Hamish thanks for the kind words!  ;)

I Hope too, to see Bachmann make one, one day soon  ;D ;D

Franck

JJM-0n30

Hello all,

thank you Franck : your photos are very good !

Thank you Hamish !