News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 27998 Ptd/Unltd black hopper?

Started by NKline, March 28, 2008, 10:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NKline

Hi all,
Not sure if anyone knows this, possibly mr. bach-man, but what color plastic are the painted unlettered black hoppers molded in? I am assuming they have a coat (or more) of paint on them because they do not look like just straight plastic. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
-Nathan

ole

In stripping far too many cars, I have seen the same car in all shades of colors and blacks. In the old old days, there were cars in raw plastic with the lettering applied directly to the body; I even have some 70s N scale cars in raw plastic.  Now that was quality control. But today, everything seems to be painted so I doubt if the plastic injection people, nor the importer, are terribly concerned with the plastic color as long as it is dark. And there are many shades of black that I have seen. Lee in Tucson
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada

Ken

Nathan

A quick scratch test, shows white as the casting color of the plastic.
as a side note "Black" styrene is the most expensive, this from a friend of  mine who worked in a styrene plant producing the raw material.

Ken
    GWN

the Bach-man

Dear Nathan,
Our models are generally cast in plastic of the same color as the to-be-applied paint.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

NKline

Thank you Mr. Bach-man and all others who replied, your help is greatly appreciated.
-Nathan
Quote from: the Bach-man on March 29, 2008, 11:15:31 PM
Dear Nathan,
Our models are generally cast in plastic of the same color as the to-be-applied paint.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ole

As far, I have found that the On30 flat cars, box cars, cabooses and their frames have been cast in a red-ish color plastic. Usually the frames are more translucent than the bodies. But the sides of the low-sided gondolas have been a creame color plastic. Lee in Tucson
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada