News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4'x8' layout (ho scale)

Started by trains, April 06, 2008, 02:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trains

I can't figure out a nice 4' by 8' h.o. scale layout with E-Z track? Can you please suggest some for me?

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jsmvmd

Dear Trains,

Bob probably has thoughts on this, but lots of good experienced people here have recommended going to 5 ft x 9 ft to give you much more options for improved layout design and working conditions in a space that is not much bigger.

This is intriguing to me.

You could do a search for the topic, or perhaps someone could add to this. Just food for thought.

I had thought about making a 4 x 8 until I read the posts on 5 x 9, and thought it was a better idea.  Good Luck!

Best Wishes,

Jack

SteamGene

The 4x8 comes from the standard plywood sheet size.  A 5x9 provides much more space, really, and is the size of a ping pong table.
As for plans - look at Atlas and past Model Railroader project layouts for ideas.  It is quite easy to expand a 4x8 plan into a 5x9 and turn 18" curves into 22" curves.  Much better all around. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jsmvmd

Dear Gene,

Thanks, mucho!  You said it much more better than I! (to paraphrase Justin Wilson).

For you who may not know of Justin Wilson, may I suggest you do a You Tube search for him. Some of the stuff, not from him  but others has bad language. Thus, look for Justin, but not the other Cajun stuff.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Yampa Bob

If I had the room, I would definitely go to 5 X 9. Another section of straight on the ends and another foot for the runarounds.

As Gene said, you could have one track in 22", and another outside track in 24" or even up to 28".  That would be awesome.

Bob

Redtail67

Justin Wilson, your kidding...I have 4 of his cookbooks went to several Cajun cook fest and watched him. He was funny as hell and one hell of a cook. I was just a kid when I went with my mother and grandmother to see him.

Back to the size of the Layout. I have not laid the first rail on my future layout. Why you might ask? I have put a small 40"x96" Layout for my grandson and it is my learning layout.

I have review hundreds of 4x8 layouts from various sources many are really good but the more I look and play around it is easy to see that a 5x9 would be much more flexibile and would allow the 22 inch curves which in turn would allow more easily the use of longer engines and cars.

You would have room in it to have the 18 inch curves and shorter loco and rolling stock for brancvh and industrial work.

Of course the tendency is to go out further and further using the same logic. As was stated before the 5X9 gives you a lot more options but yet takes only a little more room.

The 22 inch curves would let me run my fast passenger and hotshot freights much more reliably while the local and work trains putter around the industries and branch lines.

I really do think my layout will go to 5x9 when I start it and I will plan ahead to the future where I will attach my grandsons layout like an expansion kit.

Of course thats the dream and no harm  in dreamin....

Redtail67

Redtail67

Hey trains almost forgot. Get the RTS 8.0 Track building software from ATLAS...its free.

It will allow you to experiment with different designs and help you make up your mind as well as give you and idea if your EZ track will work or not.

I recieved that same suggestion from Yampa Bob on this board just a few weeks ago and it has helped me tremendously in trying different designs.

There may be better programs out there and I am sure they all cost money but for something to help you straighten things out in your head this one can not be beat.

JMHO

Redtail67

Joe Satnik

Hey, Guys.

Have you noticed that the original poster has yet to reply back?  Don't know if we have overwhelmed him or not. 

About 5 x 9 layouts...

You can sometimes get a used ping pong table 'cheap' by looking through the "thrifties" ads in your local newspaper or an advertising weekly. 

If you think you have room for a 4' wide table, but not 5' wide, think about putting your table on casters.  Position it against the wall until you need to access the far side, then just roll it out......

The formula for the width of a circle of track is twice radius plus a track bed width. (2R+TBW) 

For example:  28"R and 2" (HO) track bed width, 2 x 28" + 2" = 58", which is 2" shy of a 5' (=60") table width.  This leaves 1" on either side for overhang.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jjanseni

A general question about turnouts and crossovers...some describe themselves as remote (I am assuming remote controlled) and some are not. Are these controlled by the DCC and programmed from there? I have one very long track that goes around the top of the room (10 x 12) and plan on adding a second track. I know that I will have to run power back to the DCC every 10 to 20 feet or so but just wonder what else I may need for a dual track. I am choose to run them side by side with a crossover every now and then. I am using EZ track and wish to continue.

Yampa Bob

The original "author" had 10 threads going at the same time.  I may have upset him by asking that he condense it into fewer threads.  That's ok, we're getting good information out to the members anyway.

Eventually I plan to put our layout on cross boards and rollers.  Then we could push it against the wall when not in use.   It if works ok, we may even expand to 54" width which would allow a third track of  26". 

Our modular design makes the layout very flexible. I always advise modelers to start small, and not expand beyond what they can reasonably build, manage and most importantly, FINISH.  Unless you have a dedicated room or building, a 5 X 9 might give you all the running you will ever need.  "Real Estate" is expensive, even in model railroading. 

The greater expense is not in extra track, it is in all the added scenery.  Those pretty trees aren't exactly cheap.  Some layouts never get finished, they just keep growing and growing.  Dreams are fine, but sometimes you have to wake up to the reality of what you can actually accomplish.  As Clint Eastwood said, "A man has to know his limitations."

Bob

Yampa Bob

jjanseni
I am going out on a limb here but will give you my honest assessment.  You can make great layouts with EZ track, but the EZ turnouts have some problems, and the new DCC turnouts are very expensive.  This new concept of trying to run everything on the layout from one DCC controller is, in my judgment,  unrealistic logistics. 

Personally I would use snap switches, either manual or with remote AC switches, powered by a separate transformer.  They are compatible with EZ track, being Code 100.  You just have to fill under the turnouts with Woodland Scenics foam roadbed.

Bob

jjanseni

Thanks for be honest. I am assuming that the switches with the transformers need their own separate power supply and do no run off the track power and the DCC turnouts run off the track power or do both have to have a separate power supply? Yes, they are very expensive and I stepped back when I saw the price as I would need four of these to do what I wanted to do with the second track by converting back to a single track at the corners of the room and then splitting out at the straing track.

Yampa Bob

Use an old DC controller, hook the turnout switches to the AC terminals.   The remote snap turnouts come with activation switches.  Easy to hook up, you can gang all the switches together in one convenient place.

trains

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 08, 2008, 07:42:20 PM
Use an old DC controller, hook the turnout switches to the AC terminals.   The remote snap turnouts come with activation switches.  Easy to hook up, you can gang all the switches together in one convenient place.

I know what you are talking about. I recomend a 12 volt battery.
I can hook as amny switches as I want with out having too many switches hooked up! It's the best.