Installing DCC in a Bachmann On30 Trolley power unit

Started by ksivils, February 26, 2007, 09:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksivils

I am using the power unit from a Bachmann On30 Trolley as the power unit for a Tom Yorke diesel switcher kit.  I am also doing my first ever DCC install as well.

The installation directions say to make sure the motor is "isolated as not all motors come isolated and ready for DCC installation."  First, what does this mean, and second, is the motor on this power unit "isolated?"

Second, which direction is "forward" or left rail or right rail on the unit and how can you tell?

Thanks!

amdaylight

When they say that the motor needs to be isolated, what they mean is that the motor can not have either one of the poles grounded directly to the frame of the locomotive. If there are two wires going to the contacts on the motor it is a real good bet that the motor is isolated. If you have a multimeter you can check that there is no connection between the contacts of the motor and the frame. As to which ways is forward, on that unit I don’t think it will make a whole lot of difference, it makes a difference on something like a steam locomotive where there is a definite front and back to the locomotive.

Andre :)