News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Push for a Spectrum 2-6-0, dcc and sound?

Started by sparkyjay31, April 09, 2008, 07:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 11, 2008, 01:53:59 AM
Pacific:
Someone mentioned it on the forum, don't remember when or by whom. I can't verify it since I only started in 2007.  Could just be "gossip".

Bob

Certainly can not think of any Spectrum engines, at least in steam that were later re-released in the Standard line. Perhaps the diesel engines?

Pacific Northern

hminky

Quote from: sparkyjay31 on April 09, 2008, 07:10:52 AM
I know I'm starting this early as the 2008 releases are just to hit the shelves.  But can we ask Bachmann for a 2-6-0 Spectrum?  I'd love to see it released at least dcc ready, but with the dcc and Tsunami would be a bonus ( I'd order mine now ).  The Mogul was huge up in this area ( the Boston and Maine ).  Sorry Roundhouse, your 2-6-0 is not "up to snuff" as long as a MRC sound decoder is installed.  So how about it?  These must be more Mogul fans than just me right?

How about a nice B-15 for example?

Here is an article on converting the IHC Mogul to a different prototype, similar to the Boston and Maine 2-6-0 at:

http://www.cashgroth.com/ho/mstl304.html

B&M 2-6-0:

Harold

Hoople

I like the idea of an Espee Mogul by bachmann...
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

richG

Quote from: sparkyjay31 on April 09, 2008, 07:10:52 AM
I know I'm starting this early as the 2008 releases are just to hit the shelves.  But can we ask Bachmann for a 2-6-0 Spectrum?  I'd love to see it released at least dcc ready, but with the dcc and Tsunami would be a bonus ( I'd order mine now ).  The Mogul was huge up in this area ( the Boston and Maine ).  Sorry Roundhouse, your 2-6-0 is not "up to snuff" as long as a MRC sound decoder is installed.  So how about it?  These must be more Mogul fans than just me right?

How about a nice B-15 for example?

I have two Roundhouse DCC ready 2-6-0s that I installed the Micro-Tsunami into along with a one inch speaker. Very nice. The bigger issue is it is a "plaine Jane" next to my Spectrum 4-4-0, plus larger. The Roundhouse needs a lot of added details.

The box type headlights are my conversion. The locos come with the smaller electric headlight.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Rich
Where did you get the headlight conversions?  I'd like to change the light on my Roundhouse 2-8-0.  Also, do you know where I can get an "onion" stack to slip over the straight one?  I've heard them called all kinds of names, but onion seems appropriate. Taper, balloon, whatever... :D

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

Bob
What are you doing up so late.
Which model represents the appropriate size. When I purchase a loco I don't usually think of the appropriate size The comparison here brought it to my attention. I would have thought that locos of the same configuration and of the same era would be of the same approximate size.
Don ???

richG

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 19, 2008, 12:32:52 AM
Rich
Where did you get the headlight conversions?  I'd like to change the light on my Roundhouse 2-8-0.  Also, do you know where I can get an "onion" stack to slip over the straight one?  I've heard them called all kinds of names, but onion seems appropriate. Taper, balloon, whatever... :D

Bob
I could not sleep.
The headlights are part of a kit MDC use to sell for loco conversions. I took the LED out of the original headlight and installed it in the MDC box light. I put a thin dab of yellow on the LED so it will have a more yellowish color like the old oil lamps did. I first attach the headlight base to the bottom of the headlight. I forgot to do this with the 2-6-0. You will notice the Spectrum 4-4-0 has a base under the headlight. Right click the photo and select View Photo. That should make the photo larger. I use Firefox 2.0.0.6 browser.

Using a very tiny drill (#73 I think) and pin vise, I drill two holes in the bottom of the headlight/base and install the LED wires through the holes. I use a little GEL ACC to hold the LED in place. I have some lenses I attached to the front and a thin piece of styrene for the back on the light. I paint the headlight before installing the lenses. I bought two different size HO scale lenses by Details West for diesels. I think I used the larger one. Next time, I will take photos of the process. I am sure their are a few people like me who enjoy pain.   ;) 

Before attaching the headlight, I solder about one inch #30 wires to the LED leads  and cover the solder joint with 1/16 inch shrink tube. I wipe the solder iron tip clean and use its heat to shrink the tubing. Remember, there is plastic nearby. I have not had any issues with that process. Not bad for someone who does not have a steady hand anymore. I average out the shakes.   :)
I had to extend the wires in the loco boiler  the same way. First, I completely removed the two wires, soldered extensions, applied shrink and put the boiler back on the frame. I used a little Contact cement to hold the wires in place before attaching the boiler. I marked the wire that is common with a red dot. The blue wire is common on the decoder and it is positive voltage. With clip leads and my NCE Power Cab connected to the tender wheels, I made sure the LED came on. I then put a red dot on the same lead as the one in the boiler with the red dot. I use header pins and shrink tube to make my own connectors to join the two leads.
These links will show you how to make your own connectors.
http://www.schutzer.net/Brass_Clinics/InstallingDecoders2007.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/plug-and-socket/Little-Plugs-and-Sockets.html

Yes, it seems like a lot of work but I am retired, plus I lke the results.

I will look through my stash for the type of smoke stack you would like. Ok, now I am tired.

Rich

hminky

Quote from: grumpy on April 19, 2008, 12:52:42 AM
Bob
What are you doing up so late.
Which model represents the appropriate size. When I purchase a loco I don't usually think of the appropriate size The comparison here brought it to my attention. I would have thought that locos of the same configuration and of the same era would be of the same approximate size.
Don ???

There is no appropriate size. On a large railroad like say the B&O there is a wide variation for each wheel configuration depending upon the needs of service. There is no one size fits all. That is why it is hard to develop steam models, there are so many variants.

Harold

richG

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 19, 2008, 12:32:52 AM
Rich

Bob
I have two partial kits of what is linked below. I can spare a couple headlights also.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Wow. I'd like to get my hands on a bunch of those detail kits.  I wonder if Horizon / Athearn could be persuaded to re-issue them?  I am so glad to see them release the vintage locos.  I am very happy with the 2-8-0, I also ordered the 2-6-0 Rio Grande, it has the large light on top of the boiler and tender. 

Some modelers say the Roundhouse is lacking in detail.  I may be wrong but from pictures I've seen they didn't have a lot of detail on earlier locos.

Is detailing locos becoming a lost art?  It's getting harder to find good selections of parts.  Yep, I'm also a glutton for punishment, with my lousy eyesight it's almost torture, but I enjoy the challenge.

Rich, if you have any detail parts you don't plan on using, I could sure put them to good use. Seems I got into railroads a tad too late for some of these goodies.

Bob

richG

Hi Bob

Enlarge the photo I posted and let me know what you would like. I know I can spare two headlights with the base for each.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Rich
After reading your instructions about changing out the light, I don't think I could handle the job.  I am mostly interested in the two sizes of "diamond" stacks, but not sure I want to cut off the old straight one.

You might need the parts someday, let me think more about what I want to do.

By the way, Roundhouse is pulling the separate 2-6-0 and putting them in sets with 4 Overland cars, EZ track and controller.  I had to buy the entire set to get the loco, but at $140 it was still a good deal.   The cars alone retail for $69, and I can use the Overlands anyway.  I got the last set my source had.

If anyone wants the separate locos, better get them before they are all put into sets. They could all be discontinued soon which is typical Athearn strategy.

Bob   

richG

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 21, 2008, 09:24:23 PM
Rich
After reading your instructions about changing out the light, I don't think I could handle the job.  I am mostly interested in the two sizes of "diamond" stacks, but not sure I want to cut off the old straight one.

You might need the parts someday, let me think more about what I want to do.

By the way, Roundhouse is pulling the separate 2-6-0 and putting them in sets with 4 Overland cars, EZ track and controller.  I had to buy the entire set to get the loco, but at $140 it was still a good deal.   The cars alone retail for $69, and I can use the Overlands anyway.  I got the last set my source had.

If anyone wants the separate locos, better get them before they are all put into sets. They could all be discontinued soon which is typical Athearn strategy.

Bob   

Hii Bob

Yes, that is a very good deal. Where did you see that sold? I just was at the Roundhouse site and did not see anything like that. The Overland aare very nice cars. A fellow in a club I belong to has the four car B&O set.
I have two 2-6-0s now.
I know I will never need the diamond stacks.

I just picked up a Spectrum 44 ton diesel. I will chop the body and install the MDC Climax body over the top of the remaining Spectrum body. I have seen this done. It will get DCC. Cheap Climax loco.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Rich
I got the set from Caboose Hobbies in Denver.  They only had the loco by itself in Santa Fe.  The Rio Grande I wanted has been pulled and only available in sets.

Here is a link to Horizon.
http://search.horizontrains.com/index.jsp?sid=1197401DDCA7&Ne=5000&N=5584+783

I really wanted 2 of the 2-6-0, but don't need any more sets.  I have way too many cars now, but I don't have any Overlands.  They are 50 footers, which is max for my small layout.  I may get another 2-8-0 while they still have them, I really like the one I have.

If you don't need the stacks I might get them from you and see what I can do with them. 

Bob

richG

Did you get the set actually at the brick & motor store as I did not see anyhting like that at the Caboose Hobbies online store?
I would never buy from Horizon Hobbies. Much to expensive.

Rich