News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wiring turn outs with dcc controller

Started by r.b.tyler, April 12, 2008, 01:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.b.tyler

I am using ez track HO and have a new DCC controller. How do you get power to remote turn outs as the controller only has one power plug that goes to track power???

mattallen37

You use a seperate transformer. :)

Matt

prebres

That's right. The EZ-Command does not have an aux out, only power out to the track.

Yampa Bob

I am known for my hair brained ideas, so here is another one.

The wallwart output is 16 volts AC, at 1 amp.  Why couldn't one splice into the wire to provide power for the turnout switches?  If you were only running one loco, I doubt if the slight momentary current draw of the solenoids would affect running. You could always stop the train for a few seconds while activating the switch.

It might be interesting and prudent to insert an AC ammeter in series with one of the switch wires to see what the current draw of the solenoid actually is before trying this.

If it works, you could build a small plug/socket distribution box with parts from Radio Shack.   

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Yampa Bob's idea will probably work but at the risk of slowing the trains every time you throw a turnout or worse, of blowing the fuse inside the wall wart.  For a few extra bucks, you can pick up a second wall wart and use it just for turnouts.  Anything rated 12 to 18 volts, ac or dc, will do the job.  I have bought many of these at garage sales and thrift stores for one or two dollars each.

If you decide to try Bob's idea, make sure there are no exposed connections at your turnouts.  On turnouts like Atlas snap switches for example, be sure to tape over the the screws.  Otherwise a derailment which causes locomotive wheels to contact both a rail and one of these screws can destroy your E-Z Command unit.  It may be protected against shorts across its output but it is not protected against input to output shorts.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hgcHO

Why not just use E-Z Command DCC Turnouts

Ok they cost more but they work mighty fine and no wiring.

HGC

Yampa Bob

I found a source that had 15VAC 2.4 amp walwarts for only $5.  Well, I waited too long and they are now sold out.  But like Jim mentioned, they are available for very little cost. 

Like I said, it was a hare brained idea, and probably not advisable.   :D

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.