News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound in everything

Started by amatore, April 15, 2008, 10:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amatore

Mr. Bach-man:

After acquiring one steam locomotive with sound I've decided everything MUST have sound from now on. It just opens up a whole new world!

On new releases can you PLEASE offer sound already installed?

Hamish K

Personally I am not interested in sound. I have no problems with those who like it provided  I am not forced to pay extra for a feature I don't want. I would  have no problem with all of Bachmanns ON30 locomotives being available in sound equipped versions provided that chepaer, non-sound, versions of all the locos are also available.

Hamish

C.S.R.R. Manager

I think a truly plug 'n play sound card and speaker kit would be the answer, one that would plug into the existing DCC card, with a speaker that is properly sized for the hole in the tender base.  Of course, it's not an answer for the Mogul, but it would be great for the 4-4-0, and other DCC ready locos.

amatore

Please. I'm not trying to force sound on everyone. I just wish Bachmann would give us an option...sound or no sound.

It can be quite a project to install sound on a locomotive, especially for people like me who fare poorly with electicity.

Royce Wilson

The thing about having the manufacture adding sound is you have to sacrafice detail to keep the price down.
what about the people that do not run DCC and never will. I have a small layout that only runs one engine at a time so I have no use for it but I will pay for it on future engine runs.

I would rather have a nicely detailed engine that sound can be added later than have a engine with cast on details with a good sound system.
I have a MMI C-16 that was a lot of work to remove those ugly non prototype flange dome and cast on detail...I will never do that again.

sound is nice but it gets to be noise after time. ???

;DRoyce Wilson

finderskeepers

Errr, MMI does not make a C-16, and none of their engines come equipped with sound, so whose engine do you have?

Quote from: Royce Wilson on April 16, 2008, 01:19:34 PM
I would rather have a nicely detailed engine that sound can be added later than have a engine with cast on details with a good sound system.
I have a MMI C-16 that was a lot of work to remove those ugly non prototype flange dome and cast on detail...I will never do that again.

sound is nice but it gets to be noise after time. ???

;DRoyce Wilson

max (uk)

I think  he means the Broadway Limited one. I have one of those too. The sound is great!

Royce Wilson

Sorry, my apology to MMI. the engine I was speaking of is Broadway Limited.

sorry for the confusion ???
                                                                           Royce Wilson

Dusten Barefoot

Sound in everything will cause the price to go up. I am not for all things installed with sound.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Kevin Strong

I like the idea of making sound available, but it has one serious pitfall (beyond added costs). If sound is included with the loco, then EVERY loco of that variety will sound the same. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the LGB (g-scale) mogul, but in the early to mid 90s, it came with the most gawd-awful sound system ever conceived. Unfortunately for the ears of many, it was also a wildly popular locomotive in all its paint schemes. It seemed that every garden railroad had that same sound emanating from it. For all the variety of all the railroads, that sound brought an overwhelming sense of "sameness" to everything.

After a summer of videotaping railroads for the '94 garden railway convention--85% of which had that darned sound--I decided I owed it to myself to head to the mountains for a well-deserved break. No sooner do I step off the train in Silverton, CO and guess what I hear! A toy store had one of those moguls running around in front. It's probably a good thing that there wasn't a baseball bat within reach, though I'm certain I could have successfully pleaded insanity.

Now, I'm sure today's digital technology would allow whatever sound to actually resemble that of a real steam locomotive, but there's something to be said for the variations inherent in letting the user choose his/her own flavor of sound for their locomotives.

Later,

K

ossygobbin

amatore wrote
Please. I'm not trying to force sound on everyone. I just wish Bachmann would give us an option...sound or no sound.

isnt that what bachman are starting to do ! with the forney, shay and climax,
so whats the problem.

i hope they do it with all locos from now, its easier for us who dont want DCC  but do want sound.

also for those that said sound costs details, it doesnt with the bachman locos
my tuppenceworth from the UK