News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RC component and installation questions

Started by David, April 18, 2008, 04:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I am considering installing AirWire900 in my K27, Connie, and 36 ton Shay. I am wondering what amp hour rating for the pair of 7.2v batteries I should use, which manufacturer is best, Ni-MH or Li-ion technology, manufacturer and model number for a charger, etc. Also, can anyone make a recommendation for an AirWire900 supplier other than CVP products themselves?

From the little I know so far about the product I have made a couple of assumptions that I'd like verified.
1) The system works like "standard" DCC whereby one controller can have multiple engines doing different things on the same track.
2) All the receivers in the engines can operate on the same 900 MHz frequency and that the locomotive addressing takes care of differentiating which unit is being "talked to".

In regards to the actual installations I assume that the K27 and Connie would be pretty much the same with all items going into the tender along with the Phoenix 2K2s that are already there. What about the Shay? Is there enough room in the tender portion of the engine for all the electronics, batteries and Phoenix model 97 and Big Boost board? If the 7.2v battery packs won’t fit, what will? Do I need a “battery car”? I can also use suggestions on how to separate the power pickups from the motors in the power trucks and routing the wires to the tender section? The shay does have the newest trucks installed.

Any comments will be appreciated. I hope to get this all accomplished this spring and am now starting to install the roadbed and track. Doing so with out having to run wires all over the yard is the only way to go.

Thanks,
Regards,
David Silverton
Vernon Hills, IL
K8UOP

Greg Elmassian

A friend and I just put a NCE D408 into a connie that already had a Phoenix 2k2 in the tender. It was less wiring to put the D408 in the boiler.

He was in Georgia and I was on the phone to him in California.

Works great... the installation is on my site. www.elmassian.com

Look under MOTIVE POWER, then BACHMANN, then Connie...

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com