News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help with switches.

Started by XYZ, April 18, 2008, 06:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XYZ

Hi, I am a beginner and am attempting to start a layout. Very eager to get all running!!!! So please bear with me. I have a Bachmann DCC EZ command control center. How??? Do I hook-up my track switches? I have plugged in the green wires to all the track switches and then to the remote switch control box. Then have connected all control boxes together. That is where I am stuck at. Where do I get power to these AC switches??? What wiring cable do I use? Where will it plug in? I do not see where or what. So thanks for help in advance.

prebres

The EZ Command control center does not supply an ac auxiliary output for lights and switches and so forth. You will need a separate power supply. Bachmann has the #44212 http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=209

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products/images/uploads/442121.jpg

But any basic train power supply (transformer) will do the job for you. Or, you could get yourself a 12-16 volt wall-wart type and adapt the wire to your uses. The possibilities are endless!

Yampa Bob

Here is a wall wart you can use.  Cut off the plug and wire into your turnout switches input.  They have a toll free number, I get a lot of electrical goodies from here:

You might also check a local Radio Shack store. 

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Redtail67

Yamps Bob:

Thanks for that tip..I havfe several I never throw them away..most for old phnes and stuf 12-20 volts..good idea.

Yampa Bob

Most electronic stores, including Radio Shack, have small step down transformers rated at one amp.  With the transformer and a couple of wiring standoffs mounted in a small plastic circuit box, you can make your own 12VAC power supply.  I usually mount a fuse holder, switch, pilot light and banana jacks on the cover.

However, if you have no experience working with electrical things, best to just buy a factory wal wart.  Be sure it has a certification on it.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.